camping NQLD

Just curious how many SS'er have been camping north of Townsville, there is so many places that are great for families or even just the over nighter’s....

Over the last few yrs I have done the Waterfall circuit up near Atherton, Cape Tribulation, Undara, Rollingstone, Keelbottom Creek, Cape York, Delbeg (even tho it is south of Townsville) and a lot of the little national parks just north of Townsville....

On the list of places I still would love to tackle is the CREB Track, Cape York again (this time have 3 weeks up there)

If anyone is passing thought drop me an email and I will be more than willing to help out with questions about the area or tag along for a camping trip with my trusty old camp oven….

Sure have ;)

Paluma is a great "quick escape" from Townsville.

I really like Cape Tribulation, north of the Daintree. Absolutely fantastic place.

I've seen quite a bit of Nth Qld, from Lake Tinaroo to Mount Carbine to the Daintree to Cooktown. Kayak trekking down the Mitchell River...yes, there were plenty of Crocs on that trip! That made camping a real serious adventure on the banks of the Mitchell. And yes, I have even done CREB Track many years ago!

I have even camped out on a Sand Cay on the outer reef... That was rather surreal.

I still haven't gone all the way to the top, but that is certainly high on the list when I return to Oz.

Absolutely beautiful country up north.... such a shame so few make the effort to experience it though.

Me and some mates rode to Cape York on big dirtbikes in 1995. The CREB track is probably the best part of a trip to the tip, and it was the highlight for us. We went the CREB track both ways, and on the way home came across an overturned landcruiser. It had been going down a very steep slope after a shower of rain, the track turned to a soapy slippery slide, and with brakes locked it was accelerating down. Obviously the driver had no choice but to steer into the bank, which overturned it. There was no occupants and the motor was still warm.

So sure enough, a few ks down the track were the owners of the landcruiser, 3 of them walking out. Probably a 40 k walk back to the town of Daintree. So we doubled them out on our bikes to town.

They organised in town for some bloke to retreve their landcruiser the next day. Apparently it happens all the time, so be carefull.

Coming home, we heard it was possible to do a beach run down the east coast, from I think Ushers point to captain billys landing. Some 50 or 70 ks or something. We assumed it would just be a simple exercise of a beach run. But no, it was a massive maize of sandbanks and inlets. Could only be done at low tide, and you had to be 5ks off shore at one point. Filled a bikes engine with salt water! We quickly realised we were out of our depth and comfort zone, and turned back before it was a disaster. Only just made it after most bikes ran out of fuel and we had to put all remaining fuel in two bikes to get to fuel at the Jardine ferry bowser.

See ya's.

Last edited:
Me too

Just curious how many SS'er have been camping north of Townsville, there is so many places that are great for families or even just the over nighter’s....

Have done lots of 4Wdriving and camping above Townsville including Creb Track and we should be in north QLD next February in a caravan on our way to NT and WA.

Cheers
Sheryn

Back