Can a mortgage doc be witnessed by person with overseas address

I'm in the land of smiles at the moment (thailand) and just refinancing with a big 4.

They have emailed me all the docs. I have the NSW mortgage doc in front of me and its asking for a witness and address

Can the witness be a thai national with thai address or should I track down a member of the nanny state of australia who lives here and put his/her oz address?

presumably no one will check the will check name and address (ie verify it). I could sign it and post it to the oldies who know my signature but this will delay things.

I would prefer to find out what the rules are before asking my lender in case I have to resort to a 'creative' solution to this problem

thanks

I don't think you want to do that. I'm not certain of the NSW rules specifically, but I'd get an Australian resident or take it to the consulate. They're generally fairly specific about these things.

Just head to downtown Bangkok, walk into the first seedy looking massage palour and you should be able to find an Aussie bloke with a hand free to sign!

:p

pinkboy

There shouldn't be any shortage of Aussies in Thailand.

Best bet is to head to head to the consulate - or if it's not urgent (and assuming you're on holiday) just sort it out when you get back.

Cheers

Jamie

You should be glad that it is not a Qld mortgage which has to be witnessed by a JP or Solicitor only.

At least in other States you have some flexibility.

Cheers

I'm in the land of smiles at the moment (thailand) and just refinancing with a big 4.

They have emailed me all the docs. I have the NSW mortgage doc in front of me and its asking for a witness and address

Can the witness be a thai national with thai address or should I track down a member of the nanny state of australia who lives here and put his/her oz address?

presumably no one will check the will check name and address (ie verify it). I could sign it and post it to the oldies who know my signature but this will delay things.

I would prefer to find out what the rules are before asking my lender in case I have to resort to a 'creative' solution to this problem

thanks

see s117 RPA
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/rpa1900178/s117.html

I will leave you to interpret it.

Back