Can a property manager do minor repairs?

I have a place at the moment that has become vacant and needs about 5 minutes work done and unfortunately its a few hundred klm's away or I would do it myself.
I dont mind paying for repairs that warrant a tradie or a handyman but it's an incredibly simple job.
It needs a screw tightened on kitchen cupboard handle and a plastic tap handle put back on its nut done up and its plastic cap pushed back in and the bits are there in the inspection photo.
PM is adamant that i'll need to pay someone to come out to do it as they don't have "insurance".
I am adamant that in the time they spent taking a photo and emailing me the picture they could have fixed the problem then and there.

Is it an insurance issue or an intelligence issue?

Is it an insurance issue or an intelligence issue?

Both, I would say.
What if.. just what if while trying to do these SIMPLE fixes, they break something, that then requires a qualified trades-person to fix it. Who will you blame then?

The PM is not paid and qualified to perform even small fixes in your IP.

I agree its a bit of both. The PM is right he wouldn't be covered by insurance and you may not either. What if he slips in there and breaks you antique clock. There is no benefit to him to attend and tighten the screw either. It may take an hour out of his time. And your contract with him may not cover this either.

What about waiting for the tenant and then asking them to fix.

I agree its a bit of both. The PM is right he wouldn't be covered by insurance and you may not either. What if he slips in there and breaks you antique clock.
There is no antique clock or any furniture for that matter.
There is no benefit to him to attend and tighten the screw either.
The benefit to them is in keeping me happy and not thinking they are useless dolt's

It may take an hour out of his time.
They have been there twice this week taking photo's
What about waiting for the tenant and then asking them to fix.
What tenant?
The tenant has vacated.

DEC, it sounds to me like your property manager is a bit of a limp wristed girls blouse wearing nancy boy. Time to find a man to manage your property.

What are the OHS issues...
Of what, breathing?

They walk into a house and use a screwdriver. Its about the same skill level as picking up a fork and eating.
Do you ask what the OHS issues are with that? I guess they could stab themselves in the eye.

There is a PM who posts here (pure rentals?) that says he does very minor quick maintenance jobs like this during inspections. May even extend to changing a light globe...

I will do little things I am capable of just as I also carry out minor cleaning at properties when it's needed but not huge but I actually think it's a little unfair of you to ask. I do these things for landlords without them asking but recommend that they send a professional if there are things that need doing that are beyond my abilities.

You also expect your PM to be a professional photographer, advertising expert, property expert in all areas, cleaner, able to respond to queries within 1 hour, open you property for rent, carry out perfect inspections, find you an excellent tenant at a likely inflated rental price on a property that requires work etc. etc. etc. all while charging you only 5%!

The above is a bit of a stereotype I will admit ;). Hey, landlords have them about PM's!

If the items that are needed are so minor why not wait until a new tenant moves in and gives you the standard long list of maintenance that arrives with every new tenant and have a handyman carry out all of these jobs at the same time?

I would have fixed those things myself in my PM days. I carried a tool kit in my car and also some basic cleaning supplies.

It was generally easier to spend 15 minutes fixing things, even though I wasn't being paid for it. The alternative was spending 30minutes on the phone to the Owner attempting to convince them to get someone else to do it, which is also time that cannot be charged.

This is coming from a person who has done some major DIY. I wouldn't expect all agents to provide the same excellent service that I did, however. :)

At the end of the day, there are some benefits to living close to your IP, and other benefits to be had when investing in high growth areas that are not near you. You chose the latter, which means inevitably spending more money on things you would normally do yourself.

Matt

A good property manager that works for them-self on your behalf will treat your home as though it is theirs. Rarely the case if they work for a big mob as a salary earner with a factory approach to everything.

If the items that are needed are so minor why not wait until a new tenant moves in and gives you the standard long list of maintenance that arrives with every new tenant and have a handyman carry out all of these jobs at the same time?

Good point, thanks ;)

I had a small real estate agent (one man show with a receptionist) manged one of my IPs. One time, she even went to spotlight and replaced some curtains in that IP. Only charged for the material costs. What a service :D

The agent retired and close the agency.

Boutique agencies and agents who learned their trade at them do typically give better service I think. When working for big agencies people are taught that the same service fits all properties and landlords and that's not right!

Back