Can a property manager do minor repairs?

It's true insurance won't cover the PM for small works, it's not part of the service or job description.

In saying that, I from time to time will tighten screws etc. not because I'm asked, just because it's easier for me to spend 5 minutes doing it than arranging a handyman that will charge my owner $100+.

I tend to take with me screwdrivers and a small cleaning kit (wiping down benches etc).

Gee you expect to pay less than minimal fees yet expect a senior pm to manage your property (& get the most incompetent junior), would you trust them with a screwdriver or hammer? They can't even take a decent photo so what are their not so handyman skills like?

Gee you expect to pay less than minimal fees yet expect a senior pm to manage your property (& get the most incompetent junior)
Are you talking to me?
If so I have many properties with them which is why I get the discount and I do get the senior manager to look after my property,
would you trust them with a screwdriver or hammer?
Screwdriver yes (it's as complicated as a fork) Hammer no, but I didnt ask them to use a hammer.
They can't even take a decent photo
Did I say that?
so what are their not so handyman skills like?
Puts screwdriver in slot turn right. Its hardly a complex procedure

I'm a Senior Property Manager and I do some work for my clients.

However, I am well aware I do not have the skill set to do any major work and if it's something I could do at home by myself, than I am happy to do it for my client.

Also when tenants vacate and they haven't cleaned one wall, rather than calling them back and arguing with them about it, I just wipe it down myself.

I carry a broom, a mop and a cloth around with me. As well as a hammer and a small screw driver and Allen Key set. If it requires anything more than what I have, than I won't do it. If it involves any kind of risk, ie getting up on a ladder or on the roof or dealing with electricity etc, I won't touch it. A door handle, yes. A toilet roll holder, yes. Lifting a plug off a shower drain, sure no problem.

However, I've never had a client ASK me to do it, I've just done it and often not told them. Don't want to toot my own horn to the client :p

When at Routine Inspections, I will also do what I can. It shames the tenants in to having half a brain when they watch you quickly tighten a screw on a loose towel rail.

The difference here is though that I am building this business and whilst I have the support of another person funding the business and paying me a salary, a level of pride comes in to what I do. My clients treat me well and with respect and so in return, I am happy to go above and beyond. Any growth for our business and a good reputation benefits me greatly in the long term too.

I do worry about the insurance side. If your PM doesn't feel confident in doing it, I wouldn't push it. If they fell and the screwdriver went through their hand, that wouldn't be a nice position to be in for anybody. This type of stuff does happen and if you've pushed an issue that is outside of their job description, well, no fun at all really. The insurers may come looking for you.

A tenant may just fix it themselves which would be great for everybody. In the meantime, do you know somebody who would be happy to go and do it for you for a dinner voucher or something?

I would also worry about setting the precedent that there is an expectation that minor works will be completed by a PM.

Hope you get something sorted.

However, I've never had a client ASK me to do it, I've just done it and often not told them. Don't want to toot my own horn to the client :p

I understand not wanting to 'toot your own horn', but as a LL I'd like to know that you went that extra inch. It would give me confidence that you're looking at the finer things.

I expect my PM to put a screw back in, if he/she had a screw driver at the time

I expect my PM to put a misplaced/fell down 1 stripe of vertical blind.

I am perfectly ok if my PM doesn't do any of the above, even if he/she has the tool or capacity to do it at the time.... I would not sack, complain or move my business elsewhere because of this...

However, side by side, given a choice, you know which PM I would go with. Those little screw, or 1 stripe of vertical blind, or a cob web does sink a Landlords mind for long.

A hard working PM will be seeing my post. Educate and share their knowledge.

The less hard working PM will be on Facebook wall post instead

Back