Can anyone tell me about Ingham, QLD???

I really thought the chickens are up there, but it appears not to be...:eek:

Has anyone invested there? Been watching the market?

Advice?

I'm looking at units, maybe a house...any info appreciated...:)

I've just started having a cautious look at land near Ingham. Might be a cheap patch to hold for awhile - maybe - still deciding & waiting on specific info from agent.

Cheers
Stella

Sunfish, have you never heard of Ingham's Chickens?

Anything like IngRams chickens? No I haven't. LOL

Edit:
Fancy that. Googled it and my spelling was wrong. :)

But they have no association with the town of the same name. At least I've never smelt it. I'm sure it could not be mistaken for sugar, and I do know what that smells like. :D

Maybe it was like Nanda pasta. When the chap who started the business registered his business name, his heavy Italian accent meant the clerk wrote down "Nanda" pasta instead of Nundah pasta where the factory was located.

The rest is history.

Nice town

Ingham is a nice town... in fact there are lots of really nice towns between Townsville and Cairns. Makes for a very long drive actually having to slow down for all the towns. I don't know how it performs but personally I would be looking closer to Cairns like Innisvail (yes the cyclone town) always tought to get tradies up there but a great spot. Or what about Cairns itself? I know everyone raves about Townsville but I can't stand the place - I visit Townsville quite regularly and have some cousins there. Essentially the city is dead and they are looking at putting a road through the mall (worst town planning in history for the CBD). Most people live closer to Thuringowa which is a nicer area.

So yeah I like Cairns better, also travel their regularly. I know it doesn't have the same "stable" economy like Townsville with the mines and army but it is a nicer place... hence its dependence on tourism.

not much help though sorry

McDeyess

I have bought a block of land in a place called Forrest Beach which is on the waterfront about 17km east of Ingham. It was cheap and after working in Townsville for a year and watching the suburbs north of townsville on the water growing in price rapidly, this is a little speculative purchase that does not cost much to hold.

I have had it for just over a year now ... 12 months saw it revalued very conservatively at a 13% premium to the previous year. Enough for me.

Dont know whether it will make a great long term investment. I am tempted to build a new bread and butter house on it but i dont think there is enough of a market .... Yet . So instead I will plug along servicing the loan and watching it grow for now. Yes, its not deductable debt but its so miniscule I can service it easily on the chance that it will do really well for now......

Dont know if that helps much.

And here I was thinking I had made a great discovery - Forrest Beach !!

I have started thinking it may be a nice spot to hold some vacant land & see where the area goes in the next few years because it is so affordable atm.

Cheers
Stella

Maybe it was like Nanda pasta. When the chap who started the business registered his business name, his heavy Italian accent meant the clerk wrote down "Nanda" pasta instead of Nundah pasta where the factory was located.

The rest is history.

Just had a thought; sorry to hijack the thread;

I was watching Larry King last night and he was interviewing this American version of Steve Irwin named Jack Hannah. Bit of a knuckle, but passionate - not a patch on our Crocodile Hunter either.

Anyway, he has a Kookaburra on there and he calls it a;
"kook-o-borrow".

So then all the yanks on the show are calling it that.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Just had a thought; sorry to hijack the thread;

I was watching Larry King last night and he was interviewing this American version of Steve Irwin named Jack Hannah. Bit of a knuckle, but passionate - not a patch on our Crocodile Hunter either.

Anyway, he has a Kookaburra on there and he calls it a;
"kook-o-borrow".

So then all the yanks on the show are calling it that.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

This is the definition of "off topic"...nice!!!:)

And here I was thinking I had made a great discovery - Forrest Beach !!

... and you never know, it just might be. I do know a few people who have bought several blocks. A lot of the land is actually being developed by an ex-Brisbane Broncos player (name escapes me).

I personally think that there is still somewhat of an oversupply of land there.

The absolute beachfront stuff is now priced over $500k, so I am pretty comfortable that my little 750m2 block 150m back from the beach is looking the goods for a purchase price of well under $100k.

the potential is there.

Hi,

I bought a block of units in 2003 for $130,000 fairly old. It is a Four by two bedroom and needing some work, new roof and painting and some minor touch ups about $12,000 spent.Rents $120 per week each unit.At that time rents started at $50 to $75 a week.I guess a for quick sale i should get around $350,000 to $400,000 conservatively.But i am keeping it because the loan amount is so low i would never be able to buy back in the market. I am with Ingham real estate and they are the best agents i have ever dealt with.Rents are not high but they are full for a small town.I was told not to buy their because of the flooding.But so far no problems. Its a 2 minute walk into town and the new hospital, and woolworths is attracting more people.One of the units is self contained and i have had some contractors living their and achieving $200 rent a week.

Over the last couple of months i have seen price and activity rise.This is my opinion.Maybe people looking at a cheaper entry price?
I think this town has great potential but over a long period of time.Good luck on your decision.

Dom :)

If I were looking at units in Ingham I would look at ones that elderly people can live in. You know flat/single storey, airconed, close to amenities eg hospital, shops etc.

Hubby grew up in Ingham and we moved there for 5 years after getting married. His parents still live there. I think the town is having a hard time keeping young people there. Farmers are finding it hard to get workers. A few farms are starting to be bought out by people to grow trees. Average age of the farmer is somthing like 60. So in the future there will be a lot of older people retiring there. Husband had client value his 2 holiday homes at Forrest beach beginning of last year and they both came back at just over $500 000 each. Just be warned that Forrest Beach will be cut off from the town when it floods (regularly during the wet season) but creeks go down pretty fast.

There had beena bit of new stuff going up in Ingham recently, the new Woolies, Eagle boys, Target, Subway, Tyto wetlands/ Information centre, there apparently is supposed to be a new hotel going up on way into town, and one was supposed to be built in town, (but that has been going on for years!) But a lot of stuff has left the town too like a few car dealerships so people have to come to Townsville to get cars serviced. From the gossip around town when the Greenvale mine is opened up again it will keep the younger people in town with its fly in fly out opportunities. A few years ago Mr Beattie promised the hospital to be done up but they are still waiting.

It is a beautiful town I just didnt like living there. There are beautiful things around Ingham, nice swimming holes, bushwalking, waterfalls, beaches, fishing.

I agree with DAAJ... think long term.

sandra

Back