Can I demolish my own house?

Am doing a knockdown rebuild on Central Coast NSW, quotes of around 11000 to knockdown, can I do it myself, its a smallish weatherboard with tin roof, can i do it by law??
Have read something about less than 15m in height? Obviously if there are asbestos issues it might be different. Anyone help?
I know people say its just easier to get someone to do it, but $11g is 11g. I have the skills, am a tradesman, have builder mates and brother owns an excavator!

tipping costs might cost a bit

i cant see why you could not do ur own demo work once the utilities are off, the place is fenced, sediment fences are in place etc

I have a 9 year old son that des a good job with my own house.............u can borrow him :)

ta
rolf

The best place to start would be with your local council to ensure you comply with any and all safety regulations to both you and the public.
Marg

The best place to start would be with your local council to ensure you comply with any and all safety regulations to both you and the public.
Marg

I agree, there are some forms to complete as well so I'm guessing that you'll need to have a business or at least to be an owner builder to get the ok

In my town people have houses removed all the time by either of the following:

Offering it to a local house removal company to remove at their expense.

Place an add in the local paper offering either a cheap or free removal house at their expense.

This way you might be able to avoid any dumping fees and have someone pay the council, utility disconnection charges and clean up costs.

A negative of this option is you will have to allow the person time to have council give permission to remove the dwelling which in my local council would need to be a minimum of 30 days. The building will need to able to be accessed by transport for removal.

Cheers, Fourex.

What if you are the unfortunate victim of an accident where a runaway excavator ploughs through your house! :eek::p

Cheers,

The Y-man

Post it on ebay under "house for removal" starting price $1.00
If its an ok place you might get a few bites.
Might also be worth contacting a few local house movers who might take it of your hands.
Try this mob from Morisset.
http://www.allareahousemovers.com/

Last edited:
Y-Man
You are not thinking of cashing up on the insurance are you? :D

Never! Would I suggest a thing like that? :D

Hmm... actually, car would be better than Excavator in that case...

Watchout, Nathan's on his way to do the ramraid now....

Cheers,

The Y-man

I was quoted $5K to demolish and remove a weatherboard house less than 2 years ago and I doubt prices have gone up much since then.

I'd be shopping around for a few quotes at least.

Thanks Guys

Wow top responses, some funny ones too! The house is in Woy Woy, had thought about selling it whole, its still pretty good, just not big enough for my growing family now! Had always dreamt of buying a rural block and moving it there.
Would be a shame to turn into pieces

Demolition

This is now controlled by Workcover NSW so I would suggest to visit the website as all the info is there. From memeory you dont need a licence to demolish by hand a building upto 4 metres in height but again please check with workcover.

Big Tone

Ok i am driving to that area tomorrow to visit a purchase I will come by and write my truck off through the front wall. Win win... make sure no 1 is in the house around 4pm :)

If anyone has a house around Tamworth for removal I will be of interest to take this.

Ok i am driving to that area tomorrow to visit a purchase I will come by and write my truck off through the front wall. Win win... make sure no 1 is in the house around 4pm :)

please - steal my car to do the job. i'll even hotwire it for you ...

Am doing a knockdown rebuild on Central Coast NSW, quotes of around 11000 to knockdown, can I do it myself, its a smallish weatherboard with tin roof, can i do it by law??
Have read something about less than 15m in height? Obviously if there are asbestos issues it might be different. Anyone help?
I know people say its just easier to get someone to do it, but $11g is 11g. I have the skills, am a tradesman, have builder mates and brother owns an excavator!

If you are demolishing in order to construct a new building you may be able to come to an arrangement with your building contractor whereby the demolition becomes a part of the building works (it is generally acceptable for a licensed building contractor to demolish) and you could, in turn, sub-contract to the builder. This would allow you (assuming you obtain insurances for public liabitly) to do the demolition, with the demolition being listed in the build contract as "by the owner", thus shifting the laibility from the builder.

Hey Nathan,
On the front page of your website (nice photo too) there is a pic of the moon. Are you doing work up there too? :)
JB

hehehehe,

Funny :)

Sometimes i feel like i am working on the moon.

These pics are just there as display, the real pics and upload should be happening on monday morning on the 18th jan.

It still wont be in its entirely but will be a lot better then what currently is there and have peices of my portfolio up for others to see.

"Can I demolish my own house?"

........my missus reckons that's what happens every time I pick up my battery drill.

She just doesn't understand me......

Back