Can I go to Tribunal instead of PM?

My tenant is behind in rent and looks like she is going to move out so there's a date set at the Tribunal for 13 August.

To avoid the fees involved with the PM going to the Tribunal, can I go instead? I actually work in the same building and could just nick up there during work time.

I'm in NSW.

There is a reason for the fees to have a professional attend on your behalf :), why not go with your PM and then in the future maybe you could take over that portion of management when you know the procedure well enough to :).

My tenant is behind in rent and looks like she is going to move out so there's a date set at the Tribunal for 13 August.

To avoid the fees involved with the PM going to the Tribunal, can I go instead? I actually work in the same building and could just nick up there during work time.

I'm in NSW.

of course. If you are the owner you would be the one suing.

I'm in NSW.

I see no reason why you can't represent yourself. Having said that, your PM might do a better job than you. "A lawyer who represents himself has an *** for a client".

I'm in NSW.

Depending on your insurance the cost of your property manager attending tribunal may be covered.

Keep in mind also, that your PM will have all the evidence to present - eg letters, notices of lease breach, dates of when documents were served etc - and will actually be able to present this in the hearing. I like the idea of going along to watch for this one, it will give you a much better idea of what is required for any future issues that may occur.

Understand that even if you go to the tribunal and win, and then the tenant leaves and doesn't pay ....there is very little you can do to get your money. Tribunal won't collect money ! It's all the tenants way. LL

Dear Churchado,

Tribunal,

I think you need permission from the Tribunal to attend.

I am not sure about this, but they may want Only You, or, Only the Agent to attend, and present all your evidence,
Get in touch with them ?

I hope this helps.

Good Luck

Last edited:
VCAT hearings are public

In Melbourne VCAT hearings are public. Anybody can sit in. You don't need permission. I've sat in on several planning hearings. As a courtesy I always introduce myself to the others present and just explain I'm interested in the case. Never had a problem. LL

In Melbourne VCAT hearings are public. Anybody can sit in. You don't need permission. I've sat in on several planning hearings. As a courtesy I always introduce myself to the others present and just explain I'm interested in the case. Never had a problem. LL

Courts are generally always open to the public.

I'm in NSW.

Of course you can if you know the law well enough.

You can collect rent, advertise for tenants, arrange tradies, chase arrears, all on behalf of the PM too, if you'd like.

In NSW whenever we have needed to go we have gone along with the property manager... we have never needed to get extra special permission to go along with the PM.

Nsw cttt

I asked permission to 'attend by phone' while the agent was supposed to attend in person.

Sorry I should have clarified this,

I hope this helps,

Cheers

Back