Can i make this property into a duplex site?

Hi everyone.

My local council recommends that a frontage of 15 metres needs to be in place for someone to build a duplex site (side by side house).

Thats fair enough.

My freind has bought a property and is 14.5 metres frontage, with a 2 metre drainage easement on the side, given the total frontage around 16.5 metres.

Now my friend want to incase the drainage easment with concrete or whatever to allow him to get the minimum frontage to build a duplex on the site.

Do you think it is worth doing it like that?

Would council approve that?

Any problems this may face?

Hi everyone.

My local council recommends that a frontage of 15 metres needs to be in place for someone to build a duplex site (side by side house).

Thats fair enough.

My freind has bought a property and is 14.5 metres frontage, with a 2 metre drainage easement on the side, given the total frontage around 16.5 metres.

Now my friend want to incase the drainage easment with concrete or whatever to allow him to get the minimum frontage to build a duplex on the site.

Do you think it is worth doing it like that?

Would council approve that?

Any problems this may face?

Get your friend to speak to the town planner for the council he is in.

The official answer will be "maybe", or even "probably".

We split our block into two. The miniumum frontage here is 15m, minimum clearance around a house is 1m. We had a 29m block with 0m clearance around the house (house on the boundary).

They said "probably" but we'd have to put in a formal development application.

The final word was "yes". It never hurts to apply - you probably have similar rules for gaps around the house, and if one edge of the duplex is right on the 2m easement you'll be ok unless your council is anal.

Back