Can it be claim through building insurance?

Can anyone clarify this plss..

If the big tree's leaves has cause damage to the gutter (roof), Could i claim through building insurance?

Leaves from the tree blocked the water on the gutter & cause ceiling above bedrooms peeling off.. so i had it sealed (unable to be painted) by tradesman.

any opinion if i could claim through building insurance?

tradesman also mentioned i need new gutter as its already rusty & full of leaves.

Thank u kindly.

Have you ever done any maintenance work, ie regularly cleaning the gutters, which may prevent this issue from arising?

If not, then the insurance company MAY comeback and say that this issue could've been prevented if you had just done your normal maintenance work.

This could be enough of a reason for them to not pay the full amount - if they pay any at all.

It depends on how friendly your insurance company is.

g

Yeah sorry purple, but as the others have said - it is a maintenance issue - and if you read your policy document it specifically avoids paying out on claims like this. Insurance is for "accidents" and things that could not be otherwise be foreseen. There are some grey areas like a burst water pipe etc and if it can be proven by the insurance company to be a failure due to lack of maintenance - then the claim payout will be avoided.

Oh ok..... :p

im a beginner in this area...need more advice.

i do get confused sometimes with what i can claim & what i cannot.

Thanks for the reply :)

A side question on claims through building insurance.
Does anyone know if it's possible to claim plaster work which was caused by re-leveling of stumps?

You may have a claim from the re-stumpers if their work was faulty.

You will probably find that issues such as this are excluded.

It is not claimable under your own building policy as it was a result of work contracted to be carried out.
Marg

Thanks, I didn't think it would be, but it's worth asking. Re-leveling guy did say that there might be some damage, but it's quite a bit more than expected.

Guess I'll just have to cough up the money hmm, hmm.

Can anyone clarify this plss..

If the big tree's leaves has cause damage to the gutter (roof), Could i claim through building insurance?

Leaves from the tree blocked the water on the gutter & cause ceiling above bedrooms peeling off.. so i had it sealed (unable to be painted) by tradesman.

any opinion if i could claim through building insurance?

tradesman also mentioned i need new gutter as its already rusty & full of leaves.

Thank u kindly.

If you are talking about single event, there's every chance the damage caused by the overflowing of your gutters would be claim. If it was a case of a long period of minor damage caused by an ongoing maintenance issue...less likely.

Back