Can someone double check what I'm getting pse

Need some help, I think I'm seeing things. LOL.

OK, I've been with BigPond for a year and a half now and always run out before the month is out. I'm on the

Billing Account Number: xxxxxxxxxxxx
Current Plan: BigPond ADSL Liberty* (12GB) 20000/512
Monthly Plan Fee: $89.95 monthly
Additional usage: N/a
Bill Period: 05 Jan 2010 to 05 Feb 2010

Now it says I can change to other plans when I feel like it. So thought I'd have a quick look and see what I can get.

One of them is:

BigPond Elite Liberty* (25GB) - ADSL 2+
Up to 20000/1000kbps 25GB*, then slowed
$89.95 monthly

And there's a cheaper one under that with 12gb, then slowed for $69.95.

Am I getting ripped off, isn't this exactly what I'm getting now, but for $20.00 extra?

I'm really confused. Looks the same, just has a different name, and the 2000/1000kbps is more - which is good? Isn't it?

Cheers
QueenBee

Telstra changed a lot of their deals on the 18th of this month. Most of the changes give more gig for your dollar. But the older, more expensive looking plans are still there - this is why you are so confused. I'd be changing to the 25G one on the same price if you always run out.

And then when your contract is up get the hell away from Telstra!

Need some help, I think I'm seeing things. LOL.

OK, I've been with BigPond for a year and a half now and always run out before the month is out. I'm on the

Billing Account Number: xxxxxxxxxxxx
Current Plan: BigPond ADSL Liberty* (12GB) 20000/512
It looks like you are only on 512 kbps at the moment.
That's a bit slow,you pay more for the speed.
Trial it for a month and you'll never go back:p

If you are running out and you have a wireless modem,You are probably supplying the neighbours with unlimited downloads as well.
Check you have a secure Wireless Network,if you cant do it yourself,get someone else to secure it,and you'll probably never run out again.(Unless you have kids)

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/wireless_secure.htm

Am I getting ripped off, isn't this exactly what I'm getting now, but for $20.00 extra?

Hi QB,

Yes - basically new plans come out all the time (and usually more GB for less $). You need to be on the lookout for them, as carriers will not necessarily let you know the fact that you could move to a cheaper plan or have a lot more data or both.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Cool thanks, yes I thought it looked faster, but thought I must have been confused! LOL.

And yes, have 2 computers, 3 kids and an Xbox playing online, and also watching movies online sometimes, so we probably are using quite a bit ourselves.

BTW, any Mac experts here. How do I tell if the neighbours are using my usage?

BTW, any Mac experts here. How do I tell if the neighbours are using my usage?

It's not in your Mac (as in Apple I assume) - I assume you are using wireless? Lock down your router with a MAC (not the Apple sort!) Address Filter - ie. set up your router so only the machines you know about are able to get on (this one top of your usual router passwords etc). Have a look at the instrucitons for your wireless router....

The Y-man

It's not in your Mac (as in Apple I assume) - I assume you are using wireless? Lock down your router with a MAC (not the Apple sort!) Address Filter - ie. set up your router so only the machines you know about are able to get on (this one top of your usual router passwords etc). Have a look at the instrucitons for your wireless router....

The Y-man

If you are going down the securing the wireless path - MAC address filtering is fairly simple to work around - make sure you are using WPA2 encryption rather than WEP and if you are using a preshared key make sure reasonably long (13 characters or greater).

Jason

If you are going down the securing the wireless path - MAC address filtering is fairly simple to work around - make sure you are using WPA2 encryption rather than WEP and if you are using a preshared key make sure reasonably long (13 characters or greater).

Jason

Agree MAC filtering won't stop a determined attack - hopefully it will deter the "casual nuisance" attack.

Hope they have at least changed the admin password from the default out of the box! :eek:

Cheers,

The Y-man

Rob with the late news...

I'm with Bigpond as well.

I've just changed plans - same speed, same download limit, nearly 1/2 the price! :eek: If I hadn't noticed the plan changes, and phoned them up to get it changed, I'd be still paying the old rate. :mad:

BTW, if you have a landline and/or mobile with Telstra, they'll knock $10/month for each service off your Bigpond account. (So I went from $69/month to $39/month) This is just cheap enough now to keep me with Bigpond.

(I'd like to change providers, but the other half doesn't want to lose her bigpond email address :rolleyes:)

If you are running out and you have a wireless modem,You are probably supplying the neighbours with unlimited downloads as well.
Telstra meters uploads AND downloads. Depending on what you do this can practically halve the actual amount of bandwidth you've got. Everyone else only meters downloads. Just adds to the ripoff factor.

BTW, if you have a landline and/or mobile with Telstra, they'll knock $10/month for each service off your Bigpond account. (So I went from $69/month to $39/month) This is just cheap enough now to keep me with Bigpond.
Uh, not for everyone. Its worse than that. You have to have a NEW 24 month contract (so if you're half way through a 24 month contract, sod off) AND you need to be paying minimum connection amounts for both of their $10 discounts on offer. I thought this was a brilliant deal, yay, we qualify for 2x$10 discount off our Telstra wireless plan because we have mobile, landline and internet with them but no, we don't qualify AT ALL, mainly because we're on the lowest plans for everything and don't make their 'minimum spend' :mad:

The only reason we have Telstra wireless is because we used to be somewhere with no ADSL, had to sign up to some obscenely long contract as that's just how they work, and are now on the lowest wireless plan (using ADSL with Internode as our main plan) waiting for our contract to expire. We use a few megs a month of the plan when we are travelling.

And given that we invariably find an unsecured wireless lan every time we sit down with the laptop, I'm not even sure why we bother with the Telstra plan at all. Those unsecured wireless networks are fun, you can even get the ISP email/username and password off them in about 2 seconds (this is on top of the wireless router passwords, which are always admin/admin). If we were 'nicer' (and it was legal) we could email the people with the unsecured lans and tell them we've reconfigured their lan for them and changed their passwords to something a bit more secure. And then send them the bill :)

Setting up my new router today, will make sure it's got so many passwords on it it's just not funny. LOL

Only reason I'm with Telstra is I locked myself into a 2yr contract (stupid I know), but it ends in June this year, so gonna look around.

Telstra meters uploads AND downloads. Depending on what you do this can practically halve the actual amount of bandwidth you've got. Everyone else only meters downloads. Just adds to the ripoff factor.

Uh, not for everyone. Its worse than that. You have to have a NEW 24 month contract (so if you're half way through a 24 month contract, sod off) AND you need to be paying minimum connection amounts for both of their $10 discounts on offer. I thought this was a brilliant deal, yay, we qualify for 2x$10 discount off our Telstra wireless plan because we have mobile, landline and internet with them but no, we don't qualify AT ALL, mainly because we're on the lowest plans for everything and don't make their 'minimum spend' :mad:

The only reason we have Telstra wireless is because we used to be somewhere with no ADSL, had to sign up to some obscenely long contract as that's just how they work, and are now on the lowest wireless plan (using ADSL with Internode as our main plan) waiting for our contract to expire. We use a few megs a month of the plan when we are travelling.

And given that we invariably find an unsecured wireless lan every time we sit down with the laptop, I'm not even sure why we bother with the Telstra plan at all. Those unsecured wireless networks are fun, you can even get the ISP email/username and password off them in about 2 seconds (this is on top of the wireless router passwords, which are always admin/admin). If we were 'nicer' (and it was legal) we could email the people with the unsecured lans and tell them we've reconfigured their lan for them and changed their passwords to something a bit more secure. And then send them the bill :)

Optus measures both too

I've also got a $90/month telstra 12gb 20/512 plan, which includes silent number, message bank, line rental and unlimited local phone calls. This $70 liberty deal probably doesn't include all that... if it does then i'll be trying to sign up for that one!

So if i was to go with someone like tpg for example, i'd have to add about $50 to any of their plans, making them a more expensive option.

Maybe you have the same plan as me Queen Bee?

Very very hard to compare apples to apples with phone plans, especially when they get bundled with Internet plans too.

Silent number is about $2ish a month, line rental about $25-35, and for some reason I'm thinking messagebank is free but it probably isn't. We just get calls diverted to the mobile when we aren't home - mobile is $20 a month with $20 calls included.

I swear the only reason we have the landline is for faxes, and for sitting on hold to Telstra for 5 or 10 hours on end. The mobile wouldn't cope with such long calls.

Very very hard to compare apples to apples with phone plans, especially when they get bundled with Internet plans too.

Silent number is about $2ish a month, line rental about $25-35, and for some reason I'm thinking messagebank is free but it probably isn't. We just get calls diverted to the mobile when we aren't home - mobile is $20 a month with $20 calls included.

I swear the only reason we have the landline is for faxes, and for sitting on hold to Telstra for 5 or 10 hours on end. The mobile wouldn't cope with such long calls.

And add $3/mth for calling number display, $3 for distinctive ring on the fax, it all adds up pretty quick.

Back