Can super be factored in when applying for finance

W

WebBoard

Hi,

Just wondering if any of you had any referrals or thoughts on lenders that would take into account a defined benefit government super fund as an asset (i e I know exactly how much I will be paid when I choose to retire)- when applying for finance on residential property.

Appreciate your input

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Yes, would be interesting to hear.

Amount of Super is certainly a question on some Westpac loan applications......

Reply: 2

Hi Anon

An asset in what way ? Do you mean as serviceability ?

If thats your question then yes, most lenders will use super income toward serviceability.

Ta

Rolf

Reply: 2.1

But surely you must be earning that income for it to count ? Just having the super sitting there (which you cannot access for say, another 20 years), would in no way help your servicability ?

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 2.1.1

Hi again,

Thanks for your responses. I really meant would it be taken into account say in lieu of a larger deposit (I have some but not much)- and also for a larger loan amount. I'm due to retire in in 5 to 10 years.

Thanks again

Reply: 2.1.2

Sim, Is it an asset?

TW
~Life is a daring adventure, or nothing at all~

Reply: 2.1.1.1

Unfortunately, no normal lender that I know would go down that track. A deferred deposit does not cover their position if the need to foreclose.

Ta

Rolf

Reply: 2.1.2.1

If it appreciates in value then it is an asset... but that's not the point. If you cannot access it, you cannot use it to service a debt, so for servicability requirements it should not be considered.

This is NOT an argument about whether you should have money invested in superannuation or not.

sim.gif

Last edited:
Back