Can tennants expect cheap electricity tariff?

Hi

Due to work I am have rented out my property south of Cairns and I am renting north of Cairns.

The place I am renting is an older rental property with only single tariff electricity supply - Ergon Tariff 11 which has just gone up to 25.38 c/kWh! The cost of running a 280lt hot water cylinder on Tariff 11 would be prohibitive so at the moment I have it switched off.

Is there any obligation of the landlord to provide access to affordable hot water. ie. upgrade the power board to offer Tariff 31 or to install solar?

thanks in advance!

Is the tariff normal for the area. I would not upgrade the power board for a tenant unless the issue was something that made the house hard to rent.

If a tenant asked me to install solar I would probably laugh. What is in it for the landlord?

Unless it stops my IP from being easily rentable, I would not change upgrade the powerboard OR install solar.

I've never had a tenant ask me what the tariff is?

Last edited:
My initial reaction is a) who cares?

All you need to do is have your hws connected to a supply be it gas or electricity. Then see part a), it is not your responsibility to negotiate the best supply rate be it off peak, bulk supply deal or whatever.

My understand is that (according API Magazine) far north QLD are likely to have the cheaper tariff turned off regardless.

Like the others, I would not be changing things for a tenant either. At the risk of sounding rude, and/or insensitive my initial thought was "suck it up Princess".

Back