Can we have a wider message box?

Hi Sim,

Just wondering if you can make the message box when we create a post a little wider, please? There is plenty of space to the right of the box which could be utelised.

Regards, Mike

The box is sized so that it will fit onto a 640x480 resolution screen without you having to scroll your browser windows sideways to read what you have typed.

640x480 is the accepted standard for "guaranteed to work on all machines"... however these days is a little conservative.

In vb3.0 they have changed their assumption to 800x600 as the minimum screen resolution, so the text entry box is quite a bit larger.

There's no technical reason we couldn't go larger than this, but it is a tradeoff between getting the most out of your screen resolution and ensuring that it works effectively for the most number of people.

800x600 is the figure I work with when designing web applications. It is a little limiting, but guarantees you 98% coverage of machines that might want to access your application.

No, it's a "it will get better in v3, but it's still not going to be exactly what you want, I suspect".

By the way, there is a new "WYSIWYG" editor in v3 which is a lot nicer and more powerful than what we have now.

You can see it in action (beta version) at http://www.vbulletin.com/forum

Originally posted by Mike
Hi Sim,

Just wondering if you can make the message box when we create a post a little wider, please? There is plenty of space to the right of the box which could be utelised.

Regards, Mike

Mike

I hope you didnt lose any sleep over this:D

Hi Sim,

Thanks for that explanation. I raised it because I had difficulties doing a table yesterday in which I had to fiddle with spacing to line up the columns. The last column wrapped to the next line because of the text box size.

My laptop has 5 display sizes:

640 x 480
800 x 600
1024 x 768 which is my current setting.
1280 x 1024
1600 x 1200

So you can see that you could widen it a fair bit before any horizontal scroll bar would appear. How about widening it for 800 x 600 and see if anyone complains. I'm sure most peoples systems are advanced enough now to cope with that.

Regards, Mike

PS Next time I see my psychiatrist I'll raise this troublesome issue.:)

Hint: when trying to line up tables and such, do it in Notepad and cut-and-paste into the new post... much easier to manage !

aaaaaaaa bbbbbbbb ccccccccc dddddddd eeeeeeee ffffffff

Hi Sim, the above table was created in Notepad with 5 spaces between the column entries. In the message text box the entries are still perfectly aligned in columns but the end result are columns without space dividers.

PHP:
aaaaaaaa     bbbbbbbb     ccccccccc     dddddddd     eeeeeeee     ffffffff

Your suggestion works if you do the table in notepad first. Then copy/paste to the Message text box window. Then, most importantly, insert PHP before the first entry and /PHP after the last entry. The PHP must be enclosed in square brackets [P..P]. This seems to keep the table as originally designed with space dividers. Good call, Sim. Now, how about increasing the message box size, anyway? You're a stubborn one.;)

Regards, Mike

PS What is PHP syntax, anyway?

PPS Just visited http://www.vbulletin.com/forum and saw the wider message text box. As expected, I didn't get a horizontal scroll bar appear.

Last edited:
Yeah, and after having probs presenting a "viewable" table, I had to try this out

PHP:
test	12345	123	1
test1	   45	 42	2
test2	  145	  1	9

How's that?

After posting:-

Nah, Sim, it's still a heap of s**t - but I used Tabs - I'll try again............

PHP:
test    12345   123     1
test1      45    42     2
test2     145     1     9

How's that - this time with NO tabs (all spaces)?

OK - re-read Mike's comment - the "php" thing makes a big difference - so what the hell does "php" stand for? What am I using here? Whatever, it seems to work, as long as I don't use Tabs.....

Regards,

Back