Can you build a duplex granny flat?

Ryde isnt that close to Mac uni.... are they hoping to attract uni students?

Hey nek,

Yea I suppose so but it's at the northern side of town, just off lane Cove Road / Coxs Road. That's pretty close to the University right?

Serge.

4km away.... 7 mins with no traffic (or 35 min walk).

Not sure, I guess I had in mind that such a concept would work better being a maximum of 1.5km away (ie walkable distance)... but i guess that could work too.

All good questions but I do 3 bedroom 'student-style' granny flats all the time. They ALL have a common denominator - they are targeted at Uni Students.

Most Uni's charge around $300 a week for a dorm unit.

My client gets 3x students at $280 each and gross $740 a week! That's $38,000 a year. He'll pay it off in 3 years and then pocket $800 a week. Forever. Not bad.

Now, it's really only very good near universities.

Here are the Uni's we've done them near (in order of numbers done):
1. Macquarie Uni. Lots of Chinese students.
2. Milperra (UWS) Uni
3. Campbelltown (UWS) Uni
4. UTS Sydney
5. Ku-Ring-Gai Uni
6. Wollongong Uni

Most clients add additional 'awnings', 'patios' and sometimes a shed - just for extra storage space of course.

Brazen.

Hmmm....very interesting....

2 qns:

a) what about university vacations and the rooms are empty?

b) which are some of the suburbs you would do for Milperra and Campbelltown uni?:D

tks

welll.. back in my young age.. where i live on "boarding" house with 2x13 room duplex house for $200 per room.
I pay half price during holiday to keep the room.
Owner cash only :)

Reason why i am asking is i have a property in Ambarvale and on peering at the map, it does look closer than Campbelltown to the uni:eek:

Yea I dunno Jennifer. As one of my previous clients you know that I just design what I'm told to design. By that I mean if you want a 3-bedroom student accommodation unit I will do that to my best ability. I never offer financial/investment advice because I'm not qualified to do so.

Best person to ask is a local R/E Agent and see what the local campus has to offer and vacancy rates at that campus perhaps?

Serge.

some council, such as Penrith, only allow 2 unrelated guest per dwelling, maximum you can rooming is 2 for the GF, and 2 max for the front house...something to watch out for.

The 'patio','awning' what is the allowable/maximum m2?
I am hearing from some GF builders that maximum is 12m2 attached, can not allow attached garages. Is this a updated SEPP policy, or something that specific councils have a say?

some council, such as Penrith, only allow 2 unrelated guest per dwelling, maximum you can rooming is 2 for the GF, and 2 max for the front house...something to watch out for.

There's no limit as far as the State Legislation goes on this whatsoever. If we're talking about granny flats (secondary dwellings), there's no such restriction and no individual (NSW) Local Council has the right to restrict the number of occupants within an LEP nor other document.

The 'patio','awning' what is the allowable/maximum m2?
I am hearing from some GF builders that maximum is 12m2 attached, can not allow attached garages. Is this a updated SEPP policy, or something that specific councils have a say?

The current SEPP states that no other Complying Development structure can be attached to a granny flat. An Exempt Development Structure , though, is permitted because it is an Exempt Development. Some of these include (as prescribed) Patios, Awnings, TV Antennas, Blinds, Canopies, Sheds and Carports.

Garages are not Exempt Development under the SEPP, and thus they cannot be physically attached to a granny flat.

Brazen

There's no limit as far as the State Legislation goes on this whatsoever. If we're talking about granny flats (secondary dwellings), there's no such restriction and no individual (NSW) Local Council has the right to restrict the number of occupants within an LEP nor other document.
Sorry I should say unrelated guest. Renting per room basis to students means you will need separate tenancy agreement for each, even there is no agreement in place, you are effectively collecting rent from them individually. I accept if its rented to one family under 1 agreement, they can have as many as the like.
Under current Penrith council zoning, 2 unrelated guest is the threshold.

Back