Can you build on Sewer Pipes?

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at purchasing a property that potentially I can add value to by adding a new dwelling at the back but I've noticed on the Section 32 that in the Yarra Valley assessement there seems to be Sewer Pipe running right across the property at the back.

Please see attachment to see what I'm talking about, its Lot 210 and you'll see the Sewer Pipe run across the property.

My question is, does this affect me from potentially adding a dwelling on that Land? Also, who are the best people to confirm this, is it Yarra Valley or Hume Council where this house is in?

TIA

Attachments

• 20091124154420975.pdf
    93.8 KB · Views: 418
Contact your local council first.

My local council is ok with dwellings over sewer pipes but your need to have the pipes encased in concrete.
They should have a design requirement plan they can send you.

my understanding is you can, providing the sewer is from the house and not the main, all good for extensions and granny flats , but you can't if its a home that will be seperate tittled , because then it becomes somone elses home,

Thanks guys.

What I'm concerned about if you have a look at the attachment is that line with the arrow is roughly about 10m away from the easement and according to the legend, it looks as though it's a Sewer Pipe?

Have I got it all wrong here or am I onto something?

My question is, does this affect me from potentially adding a dwelling on that Land? Also, who are the best people to confirm this, is it Yarra Valley or Hume Council where this house is in?

Yarra Valley Water would be best to talk to regarding their sewer.

As far as subdividing goes I don't think you would have too much trouble with council as a couple have been done to the East of Lot 210 on your plan.

I am going through the process now.

I have a sewer pipe running through the back of my property and i intend to build a second property on it and subdivide.
no problem from the councils point of view.
two choices.
1 incase in concrete
2 Divert main around residence

price wise incase comes in a bit cheaper but both are around the $12,000 mark in my example.

Dont forget your new dwelling may need more concrete in this area so allow a little more in site costs.

Cheers

Encase in concrete would be right. I wouldn't have thought that they would allow you to divert the main around the proposed property? Encasing, I would think, would cause alot less hassles anyway.

Thanks guys.

What I'm concerned about if you have a look at the attachment is that line with the arrow is roughly about 10m away from the easement and according to the legend, it looks as though it's a Sewer Pipe?

Have I got it all wrong here or am I onto something?

Thats just showing the direction of flow.

Thanks Andrew.

Yeh spoke to the guys in Engineering at the Council and they confirmed that line is not where the sewer pipe is but rather showing which way it flows within the easement.

All good guys, thanks heaps for your help, I love this forum :)

Encasing in concrete is one option, but I think the better option is bridging with bored piers and flat concrete slab over.. depends on the depth of the service and location of the structure above relative to the service..

Craig, from a builders point of view which do you find cheaper and easier to construct?

Back