Can you buy a house on the sly for someone else using their money etc?

Bit of a Francine question here, so sit back and get your popcorn, this should be a corker :D

So I have this friend, in her 50s, hubby in his 60s. 30yo freeloading son lives at home with them with his 8yo daughter. He gets the single parent pension, his only expenses are a WoW subscription and any bills they convince him to pay at gunpoint, so his bank balance is ticking heartily upwards (she does his banking) and he won't move out. 8 years of living with mum with next to nil expenses when your life only involves WoW has gotta mean some decent savings there. And of course he's been getting all the government stimulus packages too.

They want him to move out. Their house is more than big enough for all of them, unfortunately, so I think they have buckleys to none chances of him moving out while he's at home in Chateau Le Parents.

Anyway, she was talking about just sneaking off and buying him a house - forging his signature came up as an option, apparently she's good at it - and then trucking him off to his very own new house. Personally I think THEY should sell their very big and very nice house, move out, and leave him there as some kind of human excess baggage for the new owner to forcibly evict.

He's eligible for the FHOG. He has savings. He's on a stable Centerlink pension and will be for life, if he manages to convince someone he qualifies for the disability pension (he's working on that one). He'd probably even qualify for a full-doc loan. No way in hell he's ever going to get a job. Parent pension is about $520 a fortnight + $250 or so in FTA/FTB, all tax free, probably a bit more than that nowadays actually.

Figures he'd be looking at to build and get the $25k grant would be $500 for the land, $75,000 for the house, $5,000 for tanks, $3000 for a septic install, and another few $1000 for electricity connection. Or he could just get a pre-loved house for about $50-80k locally or $110-120k in a different town. The FHOG + savings would make the deposit eaaaaaaaaasy.

So, would he even qualify for a loan for a house? Could she forcibly march him into a bank and get him to actually MOVE OUT into a house he owns? Or is swiping his ID and bank statements when he's asleep (which is all day most days) and doing it all for him even an option? When we got our loan we just faxed everything in and only talked to the broker by phone/email and never laid eyes on a Real Bank Person, which leads me to believe if the mother tried to do all this for him she'd probably be able to do it. Or just running the figures past a broker, knowing it *can* be done and then waving the loan offer under his nose might even make him do it himself ...

I'm sure you're smart enough to realise that forging someone else's signature is not exactly legal :)

However, i wonder what would happen if they can get a legal and medical document saying that the son in question can not look after himself and is not of sound mind to look after his finances - and therefore, they can become controllers of his "estate". That may be the better option.

I do doubt that he would be able to get a mortgage though. the banks would look at his $520 a fortnight etc, and then calculate possible living expenses and then work out that he won't have much left over.

But whatever you or they are thinking, i think this issue is rather grey and possibly should not be encouraged.

As the saying goes "you can lead a horse to water , but you can't make it think"

Or something like that :rolleyes:

Wish them all the best, its "tough love" time if its getting that bad :eek:

Quote from SS.
Kids are like ducks, the longer you feed them the longer they hang around, untill they can't feed themselves.

It sounds like the perents have failed,:rolleyes:

Quote from SS.
Kids are like ducks, the longer you feed them the longer they hang around, untill they can't feed themselves.

It sounds like the perents have failed,:rolleyes:

+1. And giving him a house won't teach him anything.
If she wants to help him, pay his bond on a rental and make him learn what it's like in the real world. He may even find he has to get a job!!

What's WoW anyhow?? Online game I'll bet?

I think it's ridiculous the lengths she's considering in order to avoid getting a SPINE and telling him he has to move out!

My parents got rid of my brother by selling the house and buying a caravan to do the "grey nomad" thing - though my brother was only 22. :D No "failure to thrive" allowed in our family.

It's the Mum that has a bigger problem - she's enabling him, which is not a gift to her son, or her granddaughter. :(

Here is as I see it (unfortunately, without FHOG):

1. Buy house in own name.
2. Say "Hey son, check out this nice house!!!"
3. Lock him in.
4. Transfer the property/mortgage into his name.
5. Change locks on your place.
6. PRESTO!

A bit forward, but guaranteed to work. :D

However, i wonder what would happen if they can get a legal and medical document saying that the son in question can not look after himself and is not of sound mind to look after his finances - and therefore, they can become controllers of his "estate". That may be the better option.
To get somebody "sectioned" under the various mental health acts, requires a psychiatrist to diagnose schizophrenia, mental retardation, or a major affective disorder like a severe personality disorder. Laziness is not a psychiatric disorder.

Far cheaper and easier would be to wait until he is out and simply change the locks. Sounds harsh, but the way he is treating them is equally unreasonable.

Otherwise, get them to cut off all services and go away for a few months. This will at least force son to pay for services connections, food etc so he can play his WoW.

If she does his banking then maybe deduct generous board payments?

Or rather than buy, far cheaper to rent a house for him if they think that will dislodge him.

Why would he move out voluntarily? Sounds as if he is living an extremely good life.
Marg

If he moves out, either forced out or voluntarily, will he take the 8 year old daughter? If so, that would have to be a bad situation for her. Bad situation all around, really.

If he moves out, either forced out or voluntarily, will he take the 8 year old daughter? If so, that would have to be a bad situation for her. Bad situation all around, really.

Yes. That is the twist really. How will he care for his daughter. Of course he could, but will he? Why will he qualify for an invalid pension by the way? Seems like the tax payers are the suckers here too. I dont think he would have got the last $900 stimulus though as it sounds like he doesnt pay tax.

They need to fix the problem (lazy bugger), not the symptom (freeloading boarder) buying a house by any method won't fix that.

Yeah, WoW is an online computer game. He's not the only one I know who spends all his time playing computer games, its not exactly uncommon, but the seriously rural location + child is a bit more unusual.

Far cheaper and easier would be to wait until he is out and simply change the locks. Sounds harsh, but the way he is treating them is equally unreasonable.
*snigger* he has to leave the house first :rolleyes: The in-joke is he's allergic to sunshine. Partly true, he's the pasty red-and-blonde colouring that burns in 5 seconds.

Silly situation all round. I think their younger son (about 18 - a late 'oops' baby) is more likely to get his act together than the other. He's already twigged to the lack of electricians in the area and is heading down that path.

I was there again today, mum and dad had popped out for 5 mins, he hadn't noticed (the back door was unlocked so I wandered in) and the daughter insisted her dad could make me coffee, but by the time he'd finished his raid and logged out the mum had got back and already made me one lol

They were talking subdividing and putting him in a granny flat out the back, but considering subdivision costs upwards of $10k and land costs under $1k (and there is a LOT of land available at that price) I don't think that's a very sensible idea at all.

Anyone know any good online betting places? Could put your money on him moving out at 35 ... 40 ... 45 ... inheriting the place before he moves out ...

Nathan - the hardware store needs too much work for a lazy bum, but there are other houses that can be had for considerably less than $60k if you ask around, less $18k grant, and its the fact that the numbers are just so small - even without knowing the size of his savings that makes mum's eyes boggle when she mentions it - that makes me think he might actually qualify for a loan. He doesn't like the area, its "too pov", but he's happy to live with mum in the area, just he wouldn't buy a house there. He said so :confused:

And as to the daughter, hypocritically, despite not being technically a full-time parent, he's fiercely protective of her. She's a cutie. She has *my* daughter on speed dial.

Either way, I'm glad its not me! I'm kicking mine out at 18. 10 years to go!

What you have to realise is that he probably doesnt even know he has worn out his welcome. He will never shift out while she is doing all the housework and looking after the child too, I bet he does not a scrap of looking after the childs physcial needs. I bet she hasnt even told him outright he should get on with his life. Kids still think its their due to have parents look after them. I see it all the time, worst case was a woman who had a stroke, could only use one arm, and was still doing all the housekeeping including washing all the clothes of her two sons 26/27 yo and the hubby. These parents really have to have a talk with him and say she and Dad deserve some rest and he needs to move on with his life.

Back