Can you buy sets of stairs?

W

WebBoard

Hi everyone

Need to replace front stairs on a old highset house in Redcliffe QLD. There are about 8 wooden stairs and a railing - very basic - I have been quoted 1200-2000k which seems exhorbitant to me but as I do not live up there a bit hard for me to do it myself! I heard that you can buy sets of wooden stairs that can then be installed rather than having to build from scratch - any contacts anyone? Or else any contact for a cheap carpenter in Recliffe/Bris?

Thanks in advance
Rachel

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Hi,

That seems really expensive. My dad is a builder and would be interested in giving you a quote. We live about 20mins from Redcliffe so it wouldn't be a problem.
I can be contacted on [email protected]

Sorry for the spam, but I think you may be getting ripped off there (without looking at them)

Kind Regards

Rick Gibson

Reply: 2

Rachel

I just built a set of stairs at one of my places. They were only 6 treads. Materials cost me $270 and it took me approximately 12 hours. 12 hours @ $25 ph is $300 (someone who knew what they were doing could probably do it in half the time!).

I would not pay a handiman anymore than $600, plus perhaps 10% as a margin for error on his part and perhaps $100 because your stairs have more treads than mine...pay no more than $760.

My stringers were galvanized steel stringers (stringers are the bits that the steps sit on). Don't bother with timber stringers - you'll just have to replace them again in the future. Pre-made stairs are much less labour intensive (that's probably where some of the $2000 came from!)

Have a look at http://www.bretts.com.au/Catalogue/catalogue.html and logon as guest (password guest). You can look up the price of just about any hardware item you can imagine....only catch is that you need to know its correct name. In this case, if you do a search on 'stairs' you don't find anything.

I just did a search on 'stringers' and an 8 tread galvanized pair is $202.73...that's $50 more than I paid for 6 treads.

Hope this helps

Scott

Back