Can you buy Yams & Fejoia on the GC

Hi people!

Asked the guy in the fruit shop today and he said nobody sells them as they are considered exotic, personally I didn't think they were that exotic, but there you go.

So are there any exotic fruit shops on the Gold Coast does anyone know?

Thanks

Queen Bee

Grow them yourself! :D

eg
http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/

The Y-man

p.s. bought my Feijoa from the local bunnings store - grows ok, but after 3 year, no flowers (therefore no fruits) yet!! :(

Thanks, yes might have to just grow my own, they'd probably be horrendously expensive anyway, being exotic and all, LOL. I thought those big brown spikey things (Durian?) or something were pretty exotic.

Re your tree and no fruit, we had trees back in NZ, and I think you need a boy and girl tree don't you?

Re your tree and no fruit, we had trees back in NZ, and I think you need a boy and girl tree don't you?

Hope not! Far as I know, self pollinating....

You're so lucky there, you can grow stuff we only dream about.... black sapote, panama berries, jaboticaba....... (my panama berry tree died - got too cold in winter! :mad:)

The Y-man

I knew our tree was quite old when we moved in, so they probably take years to start fruiting or something.

But I think lots of fruit in Aussie is so exotic, I'd never tried a mango until I got here, cos they were so expensive back in NZ. And they just grow in peoples backyards, which I love! Although I hated the taste of mango, haha.

I do find the taste of apples here a bit of a let down though, not many varieties and really expensive, considering they've been sitting in a coolstore for around a year.

I'm too scared to have a vege garden here, I'd hate to think what I might touch in the dirt if I put my hand in it!

I do find the taste of apples here a bit of a let down though, not many varieties and really expensive, considering they've been sitting in a coolstore for around a year.

Ah! Now that's something we do well down here in the south: Apples, Pears, Peaches, Plums, Nectarines Apricots, Cherries.... (just harvested our nectarines :) - our apples are looking a bit spotty this year - too much rain?)

The Y-man

I'm thinking maybe you need cool weather for apples, not sure. I do find we lack in some foods in the Gold Coast, I went to Sydney last year and think all I did was eat! I was so missing some nice pastries and cakes and a decent cappuccino I just went completely crazy food wise, haha. My next trip will be to Melbourne for my next fix of decent food!

I asked them in Coles why they don't sell focaccia bread but they sold Turkish bread and he tried to tell me it was too humid. I said to him but focaccia bread originated in Italy didn't it, and it gets humid there!

I wish I'd trained to be a Barista at some point in my life, because I keep telling them up here there is a difference between a cappuccino, a latte and a flat white! It's a pet peeve of mine.

I think feijoa are beter in the cooler climates and don't get infested with fruit fly. We grow our own taro which is an underground root like yam. We also have cassava (tapioca) and sweet potato along with ginger and tumeric - all root crops.

Never tried taro, I know you've got to cook it properly or it's poisonous. Love sweet potato though. I wonder if anywhere grows yams?

Back