Can you Lay tiles on tiles

Hi Guys,

I have had a run through the searches regarding this question, but couldn't find a link, so thought I would ask it..........

After googling the above question, there are a number of pages that say yes you can, etc, etc.

What I want to know is wether it will be durable, and wont 'slide' off after a while.

The tiles in question are for the bathroom floor. There is a gloss / shine to it, so I would be concerned regarding the adhesion between the two tiles.

Has anyone out there tried this on floor tiles and came unstuck (ha ha.. pardon the pun):)

I assume it would be quite possible on wall tiles, as they dont get to many impact loads on them??

Looking forward to all you reno 'kings & queens' out there for advice.

Thanks in advance.

F

That's what I got done in my bathroom and all's good. I'm sure I've read a thread here taking aobut it as well, sounded like it is done a bit. If you're doing it yourself, find out about preparation, I'm guessing dhesion is important too.

Am At A Loss As To How To Begin A New Thread

Hi there, my names Kisha, its my first time on here and have no idea where to begin a new thread so thought I would just click reply to a post to atleast get into here. What I am looking for is a thread I found before I joined regarding waterproofing brick in order to render. Thorpey mentioned a waterproofing agent that is like tar that you brush on, I am wanting to know the name of it and if you can actually render over it once you have brushed it onto the brick wall. I cant seem to find the thread that I read about it on, I have a moisture problem and want to make sure the wall will be waterproof before I try my hand at rendering. I am a lady on my own thats never done this before but am wanting to try doing it myself. Thanks to anyone that may be able to help. Also how does one begin a new thread?
Kind regards,
Kisha.

Hi there, my names Kisha, its my first time on here and have no idea where to begin a new thread so thought I would just click reply to a post to atleast get into here. What I am looking for is a thread I found before I joined regarding waterproofing brick in order to render. Thorpey mentioned a waterproofing agent that is like tar that you brush on, I am wanting to know the name of it and if you can actually render over it once you have brushed it onto the brick wall. I cant seem to find the thread that I read about it on, I have a moisture problem and want to make sure the wall will be waterproof before I try my hand at rendering. I am a lady on my own thats never done this before but am wanting to try doing it myself. Thanks to anyone that may be able to help. Also how does one begin a new thread?
Kind regards,
Kisha.

top of page "new posts"

What I want to know is wether it will be durable, and wont 'slide' off after a while.

The tiles in question are for the bathroom floor. There is a gloss / shine to it, so I would be concerned regarding the adhesion between the two tiles.

This is the main problem with doing it. Basically the old tiles have to be 'roughed up' a bit. A very coarse sandpaper might do it, or you might need something even stronger like a grinder. Each tile doesn't have to be completely rough, as long as there is at least *some* rough area on each tile.

This is the main problem with doing it. Basically the old tiles have to be 'roughed up' a bit. A very coarse sandpaper might do it, or you might need something even stronger like a grinder. Each tile doesn't have to be completely rough, as long as there is at least *some* rough area on each tile.

Bottom layer of tiles need to be 'sound', and yes, rough them up to provide a 'key' for the new layer.

Remember, the height of the floor is going to change and sometimes can create problems beyond just trimming a door so that it can close.

Mortza is spot on. Tap each tile to check that is isn't drummy, then acid wash with a mix of hydrochloric acid and water to clean of and etch tiles/grout . Wash off then brush on ultrabond and wait for a day then glue on new tiles. I would also recommend the better quality (flexible) glue rather than the cheaper non flex alternative. I have just reno'd a number of units using this system and it worked well.:)

Kind regards,
Kisha.

Kisha try this forum
http://www.renovateforum.com/index.php
You will find plenty of pro's who specialize in rendering and waterproof techniques. and all free advice.

Thanks to all who responded.

Looks like the easier alternative (than rip up, level and replace.)

Now to select a tile.

I suppose I better stop talking about it and get on doing it:).

Cheers,

F

Fudge My take on it is it is easier to remove and replace, The glues will stick like em" er" GLUE. But now you have to bring the heights for the floor waste up and the shower waste as well, the screens required to be removed unless you can tile well enough to have some great cuts around them and the toilet and the vanity, or remove and replace as required. It also seems the under floor water proofong will not be to any building codes, and so even if it looks OK ish it will be even more work for somone later to do it properly, so, is it realy easier to take the short cuts, I don't think it is, you end up with a crappy second hand bathroom, that is ment to look new but never will, if its a reno, or IP you claim and depreciate it any way, so do it right the first time, just my take on it.:rolleyes:

hey , you're in luck (tiler by trade) ultra bond is a fantastic product can be used on any surface especially tiles or timber and then use a flexible glue (rubber modified) or you can just use a two part glue such as isoflex, ardex product, which comes as 2 bags of powder and 20 litres of latex liquid which is mixed together. this stuff sticks like **** to a blanket with no need to rough up tiles. any other queries about tiles let me know

I agree with everything craig said.
Personally I can't stand tile on tile. The heights are all wrong and there is nothing worse than not having the floor flush with the other floor.
A mate did this at her place and stubbing my toe on the uneven hight at the entrance of the bathroom certainly was sore....

Wow,

Recent points taken.

I just thought it would be a right pain ripping the tiles up, and having to get all that hardened adhesive off the floor.

I guess I thought it would be easier, as I could just 'throw' the new ones on top.:confused:

F

we put a diamond blade ($7) on a $29 Ozito Angle Grinder and ground a slight series of hatches across the tile face.

then we laid straight over the top.

the way people come unstuck, is when the EXISTING tiles aren't bedded properly and you get a hollow sound. if they're not bedded properly hit them with a hammer and fill the hole with mud.

have fun - tiling is the easiest job on earth IMO.

I agree with everything craig said.
Personally I can't stand tile on tile. The heights are all wrong and there is nothing worse than not having the floor flush with the other floor.
A mate did this at her place and stubbing my toe on the uneven hight at the entrance of the bathroom certainly was sore....

depends on details, in my case, the bathroom is already raised compared to the adjoining hall, so made no difference.

payng someone who does it for a job means that it looks (to me at lest) the same as if I'd individually ripped out the 3x3cm square tiles off the floor.

Back