Can you powder-coat over anodising?

Has anyone powder-coated over an anodised finish? Is it possible?

I have a client with perfectly ok anodised balustrades. Would be such a cost saver (much needed on this project!) to just re-coat them instead of spending $6000+ on all new.

Any advice much appreciated! Thanks.

I have a client with perfectly ok anodised balustrades. Would be such a cost saver (much needed on this project!) to just re-coat them instead of spending $6000+ on all new.

Hi Jane,

I'm advised that you need to sandblast the anodising off (easy job apparently) and then powder coat or paint. Other advice is that it is OK to paint over the anodising as is.

Ask for a 2nd opinion from the powder coater company.

Hi Jane,

I'm advised that you need to sandblast the anodising off (easy job apparently) and then powder coat or paint. Other advice is that it is OK to paint over the anodising as is.

Ask for a 2nd opinion from the powder coater company.

Is there anything you don't know?

Actually you can powder-coat over anodising, I have seen marine parts done this way because aluminium gets corrosion which flakes off the powder coating but if anodised first it stops this and apparently makes a good base for the powder coating process.
Not sure how it is done or if it can be done on old anodizing

Is there anything you don't know?

Yes, the process. ;)

Powdercoating is a production line finish which cannot be undertaken onsite as you apply the powdered paint in a dust free environment and bake the finish in an oven. Unless tou can fit the house into an oven, you'll have a problem.

You might look at electrostatic airless systems.

Yes, the process. ;)

Powdercoating is a production line finish which cannot be undertaken onsite as you apply the powdered paint in a dust free environment and bake the finish in an oven. Unless tou can fit the house into an oven, you'll have a problem.

You might look at electrostatic airless systems.

Yes, one would need to remove the balustrades and clean them perfectly before powder coating them and putting them through the oven. I don't see why it would not be possible to remove them though - obviously depends on their size and whether they are a single element or made of several pieces. I have not seen anodised aluminium powder coated before, so cannot comment on that (the point of the anodisation process is to protect against the environment, so it takes a special set of circumstances to have to powder coat on top of that).

DEC said:
because aluminium gets corrosion

Aluminium when in contact with air instantly develops an alumina coating - which is the oxidation of the aluminium - but that is the extent of its oxidation. It could corrode if in physical contact with another metal (so perhaps in boating parts?) Also seaside environments increase chances of corrosion.

You mean anodised aluminium? If so yes.

Prop it would good if you could have someone film you whilst talking to the tv and put this online so we can observe the process. It appears to have helped your retention of random facts.

It all looks to me like some Dulux weathersheild is in order unless they want to replace the structure.

Yep no problem..
We powdercoat over anodised no problem at all.

Our powdercoater will even coat white over bronze anodised without any hassle.

Check with your powdercoater.

The ONLY problem we can see is the cost of securing the site while you have no balustrades.

Thank you everyone for your advice.

Looks like it can be done which will be a great cost saving for the client.

Yes, we'll check with the powder-coaters before anything is removed.

Hopefully will have some pics to post with the results over the next few months.

Jane

Back