Can you remove tile paint?

Have found a really nice house and looked at it a couple of times. One of the 2 problems with the place is that the vendors keep painting it. I like things original and then I work from there according to my own taste.
There were beautiful old tiles in the bathroom both on the floor and on the wall and they've gone and painted over them. Is it possible to remove tile paint?
( The other problem is the neighbour's pool just out the back with the noise of the filter and no doubt, the noise of the kids swimming in summer.)

It depends how they have applied the paint.

Aa cheap and nasty diy with a roller and no preparation might be ok but if they've etch primed the tiles they'll be ruined.

Keep bombing the pool with condys crystals or detergent bombs and food colouring.

The effort involved with cleaning tiles would be the issue IF it can be done. Chances are still look bad. You may still need to regrout anyway.

Your local Masters / Bunnings / tileshop sells basic tiles for $20 a M2 ++. Far better outcome. Strip em off..Clean up surface, adhesive with spacers, dry. Grout.

The effort involved with cleaning tiles would be the issue IF it can be done. Chances are still look bad. You may still need to regrout anyway.

Your local Masters / Bunnings / tileshop sells basic tiles for $20 a M2 ++. Far better outcome. Strip em off..Clean up surface, adhesive with spacers, dry. Grout.

You're probably right Paul@PFI, it's just that these were really nice old tiles in a well looked after retro house. Unfortunately, one of the daughters got hold of a paint brush and is attacking everything she can see. So presumptuous.

pour liquid nitrogen into the pool
or throw a few unwrapped chikito bars into the pool.

All good ideas :p

That suggestion about asking the vendors is actually very sensible, MGEyes.
I saw something on youtube about paint thinner, too.
I guess if they haven't etched/sanded, there's still hope.

Back