Canberra get together

We've arranged the next (and last for 2003) get together for Sunday, 16th November, at the Queanbeyan Leagues Club from 12:30PM, in the upstairs dining area.

The club venue gives the option of people not having to eat if they don't wish- and it gives the flexibility to move around and talk to other people, which is something which is more difficult to do in a restaurant.

Geoff,
Would love to be there. Really enjoyed previous get togethers.

16th is no good for us. It's the little one's 2nd B'day Party that day. Not sure if he's ready to talk investing just yet. Maybe by his next B'day.

Steve KKK

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the info.
What generally happens at the gatherings?
I should be able to make it - the only thing would be travelling from Dunlop (need a pack lunch to get there).

cheers,

kidders :rolleyes:

kidders,

It's generally just people talking and networking. I find it great to be with people who are positive about property, people you can learn from and be motivated by.

OK, some more info (thanks to Mr Ed for organising this)

Lunch starts beforehand at 12:30 (for those who would like to), and the talk at 2PM.

From Ed's mailout, for those who did not receive it:
Well its time for the last CIG meeting for 2003, we've got a "corker" of a speaker for you this time. James King the principle Lawyer from Legitimate Solutions Legal has offered his time to come and talk to us on some very interesting and very important issues.

Topics that James will cover are...

Conveyancing

ACT vs NSW
Steps in the process
What to do before exchange
Why bother with searches
Tips for dealing with incoming financiers
Why settlement is like herding cats
Licence to Occupy, early access, delayed settlement, stamp duty when buying off the plan and other issues that make life interesting

Estate Planning
Why have a Will in place – how to leave the right property to the right people
Enduring Powers of Attorney - allow you to appoint someone to act when you are incapacitated
Allowing your spouse or partner to access investments held in your name
Blended families – it might be complex but your situation has probably been considered before

Family Law
Binding Financial Agreements – a bit like the “Pre Nups” we hear celebrities signing
Property orders after separation – one of the few ways not to pay stamp duty

Venue

When: Sunday the 16th November (that's Sunday Week )
Where: Queanbeyan Leagues Club
Time: 2 pm start "sharp" presentation to finish in 1 hour which leaves time for questions (James has allowed 2 hours)
Who's invited: anyone who might be interested (fwd this to them to they can get regular updates from us)
Cost: A $5 donation would be nice but we'll leave that to you to decide

Now before you read that next email...

We know that most of you like the networking side so we have decided to arrange to meet @ 12.30 (pm) in the Bistro for lunch before hand, all are welcome. There is always a daily special for around $7

Now the catch... the room only holds a max of 30 people!!!! (If you know of any venues for the future that have free room hire please let Geoff & I know)

Email Geoff or myself indicating which you'll be coming to.
If you would like to be notified of events by email, send ed an email at [email protected]

I can be contacted at [email protected]

(I can get the Irish Club function room free- but generally only for weekday evenings not Friday- and then only after 8PM. Sunday is much more user friendly imho).

Geoff,

Thanks for posting.

James has a good sence of humor so it'll be a good laugh as well.

see you all there.

Mr Ed

Im most likely moving to Canberra in early december with my mother and sister and would love to meet up with the Canberra forumites once I arrive. Are there any Canberra somersoft meets planned between December say 12th and Xmas?

Hi Geoff,

I may not be able to make it on Sunday. Is there any other way to receive information that will be spoken about on Sunday?
I am really interested but have kids duties to do.
Cheers,
kidders

Qaz,

None yet in December, we're still planning our Bagging Bash (to bag the outside of our house) This *may* be in December but more likely January at this stage.

I may plan a cashflow night in Dec & will make sure you're invited :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Kidders,

James I believe is going to have handouts, however I'm not sure as to how detailed they will be.

If there are any handouts I'll grab one for you.

Geoff & I are planning a few different people to speak to us next year and if James is a success (which I'm sure he will be) we'll see if we can get him again next year.

My email is in Geoff's post if you'd like to recieve the invites direct, Shame you can't make it as it's always a good chat and we are friendly bunch, but I'm sure you come along next time.

Qwazzy

Sorry Geoff & I are making this the last for 2003. xmas parties all start next month...

Mr Ed

Hi Geoff,

About last weeks Canberra get together, was there any material handed out that I could get my hands on?

Cheers,

kidders

Kidders,

James did have some material. There were dot points on steps to selling a property, steps to buying a property, and a checklist of things to do when changing an address.

He spoke in some depth about conveyancing, as well as estate planning, covering both wills and enduring power of attorney.

It was an excellent talk- going an hour over the scheduled time just due to the amount of interest raised.

I only have a paper copy of the form- but James may have an electronic form- you can contact him on [email protected] to see if he has an electronic copy available.

[Blatant plug coming up- he did provide a great talk for a token cost]

He does have a particular service which may be worth while to many- they can arrange to visit you at home or at work. That's something which may well be of value to me- travelling to a solicitor at a time when you can fit into their schedule can sometimes be very inconvenient to me.

His home page is http://www.legitimatesolutions.com.au/ - that also has a mobile contact, where he claims he does not mind being contacted out of normal business hours.

Back