Canberra to Shoalhaven link road almost complete.

For those that are interested.

It looks like the main road 92 project will be complete in about 2 months with only an 8 klm section left to go.
For those that dont know you basically have two options to get to the coast from Canberra( As all canberrans do each weekend it seems).
You head north east towards Sydney or you go the lower route via braidwood to Batemans bay. This has done wonders for Batemans bays growth over the years.

Now the link road has turned a dirt track into a sealed road between braidwood and Nowra.This should give some more positives to the shoalhaven property market by directing more people from the ACT into the area. The dirt track didnt allow this and was often limited to 4WD vehicles in wet weather. Property along the road has increased during the different stages of this roads creation although you can still get acres for quite cheap. Ad a sealed road and watch the prices go north.
A second look at the project and i cant confirm if the soon to be completed section is just Nowra to Nerriga or all the way to Braidwood. Either way its a very good thing.

Now connect this road to the shoalhaven and hopefully we will see upward pressure in the region also.

Cheers

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/constructionmaintenance/majorconstructionprojectsregional/southcoast/mr92/

Ok checked the site and it is the section from Nowra to Nerriga that is complete with Nerriga to Braidwood to follow. Not as good as being 100% complete but still very good for future growth of the area.

Unfortunately it's still a seriously scary road - I'm not sure why it's been done the way it has but there's sections (especially around the big bridge) that you really don't want to see more than a car coming the other way. Would be better if they fixed the road into Bungendore via Tarago/ Oallen ford (fastest way at the moment - cuts about 30min off the Braidwood option).

Not sure if Jervis will see the same growth that Batemans did - many Canberrans weren't aware of Nerriga rd as a possibility to start with, and also a lot now already own property at Batemans. Also Jervis has the unfortunate reputation of being close to seedier areas of Nowra. With recent moves to relocate public housing to out near Callala Bay, Callala Beach and Myola (and the increase (annecdotal) in crime), it's not helping the rep.

Should prove interesting when it is all done though to see the effect. :) Might be more from the increase in defence presence in the area with the base at Nowra growing again numbers wise.

Mmm. Agree and dissagree. At the moment to get to the shoalhaven from the ACT. You either go south to the bay then north( add an hour that way. Or you go north then cut over canbewarra mountain . Now that is a scary drive. The point of the new link road is to creat a better connection for trucks etc creating more commercial oppertunities in the area. Nowra does have a lower socioeconomic area. But it's separated from most of Nowra enough to not be a problem. JB is another world away in comparison. The shoalhavens growth compared to the bay will remain to be seen. It will not be even across the board. Coastal towns should do better. Huskison will go crazy. Nowra should do well due to the direct connection and services available. Still a few years of yet but I think. Your right about the base. It will be expanding for some time yet.
Unfortunately it's still a seriously scary road - I'm not sure why it's been done the way it has but there's sections (especially around the big bridge) that you really don't want to see more than a car coming the other way. Would be better if they fixed the road into Bungendore via Tarago/ Oallen ford (fastest way at the moment - cuts about 30min off the Braidwood option).

Not sure if Jervis will see the same growth that Batemans did - many Canberrans weren't aware of Nerriga rd as a possibility to start with, and also a lot now already own property at Batemans. Also Jervis has the unfortunate reputation of being close to seedier areas of Nowra. With recent moves to relocate public housing to out near Callala Bay, Callala Beach and Myola (and the increase (annecdotal) in crime), it's not helping the rep.

Should prove interesting when it is all done though to see the effect. :) Might be more from the increase in defence presence in the area with the base at Nowra growing again numbers wise.

For those that dont know you basically have two options to get to the coast from Canberra( As all canberrans do each weekend it seems).
You head north east towards Sydney or you go the lower route via braidwood to Batemans bay. This has done wonders for Batemans bays growth over the years.
Don't forget the Merimbula option via Bega, which we did as a family many weekends growing up in Canberra.

I remember reading in a property magazine last year that a couple of surf-beach towns near Batemans Bay had amongst the highest capital growth rates in NSW over 20 years (behind Byron Bay I think) and the comparison included city suburbs. All due to cashed-up Canberrans escaping the cold, no doubt, and very low initial entry prices.
I agree the new road could mean good demand for the coastal towns at it's end. Thanks for the post.
Cheers, Ali

I personally dont know any canberrans who travel to the coast on a regular basis (I'm defining regular as more than 5-6 times a year).

Sure school holidays are popular, however not many would go down there every weekend... personally I couldn't think of anything worse..

Growing up in Ulladulla, I found the area would be swamped with both Canberrans and Sydneysiders over both Easter and the new year. Made life on the roads misery for locals...

AFAIK parts of the road between Nerriga and Braidwood are still like a goat track, so i doubt many people are using it much at present. And I doubt it would have done much to improve values in or around the Jervis Bay area. Since the primary industry is tourism, any changes in population would be either seasonal or retirees/sea changers.
And any way you look at it, it is still about 2 1/2 to 3 hours drive from Canberra - more or less the same time it takes via the other routes.

Back