Can't decide whether worth paying to extend car warranty....thoughts please?

So we got a new car (Holden Captiva) and as with most new things these days they try and get you to pay to extend the warranty.

On one hand i'm thinking brand new car shouldn't be anything wrong with it for a good few years but on the other hand i know that often its luck of the draw and something can always happen unexpectedly.

Its $1500 and i can't decide!! Is it just another one of those marketing things to get you to pay for something that is very unlikely to happen similar to insurance....Any advice???

Take that $1500...put it in your offset account (work out what you earn from that) IF anything goes wrong after your standard warranty time you will easily be able to afford it :)

I tend to "self insure" a lot of stuff...so far I am waaaaaay ahead. (dental extras on health insurance is a good one :) )

Im considering extended warranty when my 3 years runs out due to having one of those new dual clutch automated gearboxes (DSG).

I think they are very expensive if they break.

Does anybody with DSG, S-Tronic, or lucky enough to be have PDK recommend taking up the extended warranty to cover the transmission?

thanks guys!

that link was perfect (i'm not good at using the search function in SS - can never find what i want) as we were going to protect the seats too :D

All such products can be covered by three lines of text in various combinations
{1#}the period is shorter
{2#}the price is higher
{3#}the event is not covered
Everything the sales staff tries to sell you is priced, arranged, etc, in combination of those three lines
given that 'the event' is any possible failure
If the event is in the warranty period, {1#}
If the event is in the extended warranty period, {1#} {2#}
If the event has ever occurred {1#} {2#} {3#}

eg: motor insurance for a 19year old {2#} {2#} {2#} {3#}

extended warranty = jip.

fabric care = jip

dealer prices for accessories = jip

dealer warranty on accessories = jip.

car dealers = jip.

dealer delivery = jip.

Being younger and naive (first car) I got the extended warranty on mine. $700, increased it from 3 to 6 years or something.

Car is now 9 years old and never had a thing go wrong with it. Waste of money.

I'm about to get the timing belt changed on my 5 year old Astra at my local mechanic, thus voiding the last year of extended warranty (provided for free when the car was bought). I'm doing this because the car has never missed a beat (except for a very minor problem fixed under warranty when the car was nearly new) and it costs $500 LESS to get it done locally than at the dealer.

Frankly, I'm sick of dealers who charge lots of $$ and do crap work.

I personally wouldn't get it, If something was to go wrong they will only try and work their way around it not being an warranty issue. I just took my car which is under warranty down to the dealership to get the air con compressor looked at. The bracket around it had snapped. Apparently it was my style of driving that had caused this happen..... Hmmmm...... BS much! They will try anything to avoid reparing it under warranty.

....yes....driving causes aircon brackets to snap....aircon brackets are the third most common problem with all cars - 17% of people know that..... :rolleyes:

So we got a new car (Holden Captiva) and as with most new things these days they try and get you to pay to extend the warranty.

On one hand i'm thinking brand new car shouldn't be anything wrong with it for a good few years but on the other hand i know that often its luck of the draw and something can always happen unexpectedly.

Its $1500 and i can't decide!! Is it just another one of those marketing things to get you to pay for something that is very unlikely to happen similar to insurance....Any advice???

Are you paying to extend the warranty or paying for an extended warranty ;) Extended warranties are very different beasties and worth the read, sales people sell these for a reason. They are a very good source of income for the retailer with very little downside.

There will always be a few winners with the extended warranties and the more expensive the item you pay for, the more inclined people are to pay additional for a safety net on offer

they arent worth the paper they are printed on

the dealers always find some way of showing you that if you read the booklet that whatever you are talking about is almost always NOT COVERED somehow in an extended warrantee

plus to keep it you have to service your car there
\which every time they will try to tell you that instead of a basic service it also needs 5 thigns fixed
so you pay 600 each time instead of the basic service

and to fix those items would have been cheaper at a local honest mechanic

it is such a scam and waste on so many levels.
the only one who benefits is the car dealer. get money spinner on so many levels.

Francine

Back