Can't get an owners builders license

Good morning,

I am looking at completing a granny flat renovation on an investment property we own. This is my first time completing a granny flat although have owner built our home before.

It looks like that due to this being an investment property I cant obtain an owner builders license, I spoke with NSW fair trading.

How does everyone manage this?

I want the experience of hiring all the trades etc and project managing the job, but what will I get the builder to essentially do other than use his builders license for council and I guess a bit of quality control.

Property investing and renovation is something I want to do into the future but how do I get around the issue of a builders license if I plan to have two to three projects going a year. How does everyone else deal with this?

Thoughts please.

Many thanks
Selene

Go and get your builders license. Its not that hard. You can do an owner builder every 6 years for your own personal home, but cant do anything that is commercial, i.e. 2 townhouses on block etc. You might be able to find a builder who will let you use his license, but as he has to guarrantee the build for 7 years, I doubt it.

Owers build license- Can only be done for PPOR, and i get regular builders who move around once every 6-12 month; flip.

If your planing on building 3-4 a year then consider the full builders license.

Your local TAFE might have an owner builder course which would be worth doing.

I did the course once but it made me realise that I didn't have the time to do everything necessary, as my job was full on at the time, and I had to become available during work times.

Thank you.

I have looked at getting my cert iv in building and construction but I would still need 2 years of apprentice style work.

Is there another course which would not require the apprenticeship.

Thanks

The course I did was just night classes over a period of time- but that was quite a few years ago. It did not give any certificate, just a knowledge of what went on.

Selene you need a trade plus cert 4 plus 2 years experience for builders licence. See fair trading web site. There is no real short cut...you would be doing yourself a disservice if there was.

Back