canvas art prior to selling property- where to get at cheap prices

Some vendors decorate their houses with modern canvas art to increase the aesthetic appeal of their property on advice of real estate agents.

Where does one get these art pieces on the cheap?

Thanks.

Or try a professional staging company who will attend to not only the art on the walls but the furniture, rugs, lamp shades, and other props ;)

Each time we have sold a property we have pulled furniture pieces from our own house and my parents' house, artwork from our own walls (prints and mirrors) and bought beds on ebay, dressed them with nice linen (used our own or bought new, which we get to keep).

Last sale, we did ask our kids if they would sleep on the floor so we could use their beds :) but they were not happy to do that (only kidding). After the sale, we sold the beds, so the ended up not costing us anything really.

It costs a few grand to dress a full house through a hire place for a month or two, which is fine if you don't have "nice stuff" of your own that you can use.

Each time we have sold a property we have pulled furniture pieces from our own house and my parents' house, artwork from our own walls (prints and mirrors) and bought beds on ebay, dressed them with nice linen (used our own or bought new, which we get to keep).

We did that when we sold a rental property. i decorated house, then broke my leg and was on crutches so had to get hubby to pick everything up. In the process he smashed a really expensive frame and it's now all skewish. Can I claim repairs on tax??

Or... buy some canvases ( generally square looks better), from the $2 shop, and use any paint you have lying around the house, particularly tester pots, which are similar hues, and try your hand at making some yourself!!
Just pour the paint on, tip the canvas side to side a bit, do a bit of mixing with your fingers and 'Bob's your uncle".
I have done this a few times, and they've come out looking pretty good!!
If you want to start getting fancy, you can first put on some glue in wavy lines, let it dry, and then do the colours over the top, to give it some texture as well.
Even if it doesn't work out well, painting is very therapeutic!! particularly finger painting!!

Pen

DIY Staging

i agree it is very therapeutic to paint and DIY staging is not all that hard. It's quite a knack to have a fantatic "eye", but to get it looking presentable and saleable it's not that difficult. $2 shops, garage sales, trading post, ebay, borrowing from your own house are all great tips on where to get items to decorate/stage a home. A great tip is to theme the house and try to bunch colours together - and keep the same theme continuous throughout the house.

Also, if your planning on doing multiple projects - why not pay for storage (it's not that expensive) and keep the items (if you don't already have room in your own garage) and reuse them for the next place...or better still, line up your projects so you can move the furniture from one to the other...although you would need to have a lot on the go for that to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back