Capital Gains

Hi all,

I bought a property in July 2000 for 180k, I lived in it until March 2007 and at this point it was valued at 400k.

In March 2007 I rented it out until January 2013. The property was vacant from January until March 2013 when I sold it for 600k.

I am trying to ascertain what capital gains I would be expected to pay on this.

thanks

Jezza

I'd assume that you had another PPOR to live in after you moved out.

I'd guess that you have to add half of the capital gain (50% of $200k = $100k) to your income. The tax that you pay on that depends on your other income.

You may have acquisition costs and disposal costs which would reduce this.

Thanks Geoff,

Yes I did have a new house to move into, now the fact that the place was 100% actually in my wife's name and she is a stay at home mum on no income would this affect the amount we would have to pay

ta

Jezza

I'd be guessing then that the CG is added onto her income rather than yours. So whatever tax rate $100k puts her into. (If she has HECS that may increase her liability).

But this is really a question for your accountant, not some guy on the internet who you don't know ;-)

I'd be guessing then that the CG is added onto her income rather than yours. So whatever tax rate $100k puts her into. (If she has HECS that may increase her liability-)

I read it that the wife owned the second property?
Jessa do you mean the first house was in your wife's name? Or the second because you said you had a property. I assumed you meant the one you live in now was in your wife's name.

Jessa- Was the first house in your name only?

Wouldn't the 6yr rule apply? Not sure as you are living in a house that your wife owns but as its not in your name you're not claiming it as a PPOR.

If you can use the 6yr rule you'll pay no CG.

If you do have to pay it would be 50%of the increase of $200k minus costs etc. so less than $100k would be added to your income. That's assuming it was in your name only. If it was in both names I don't think you could claim the 6yr rule.
But as mentioned your accountant should be able to clarify (assuming they are property savvy).

Please clarify who owns what for clearer answers.

Back