Capital Growth Investors.

Very interested to hear the thoughts of all you Cap Gr/Neg Gear investors out there re a cashflow positive property with little or very minimal growth prospects.

How many dollars must it put in your pocket after exp for you to show interest in an IP like this and sacrifice some equity so to speak that you were saving for that next neg geared IP?

Basically what is too good a deal you couldnt refuse?

As i try to work out a strategy for myself this always comes to mind.
I believe Capital growth to be the key ingredient for me personally but now with good equity under my belt im looking to add some cashflow positive property.

look forward to some replys,Darren

Hi Darren,

Tough question to answer without resorting to Ian's PIA software. You need to match the Internal Rate of Return of different investments to compare them. The first table shows a capital growth example where the gross rent is $100 per week. In this example, the property is initially costing you $9 per week to hold after tax.

3resize_of_pia01001.jpg

[ EDIT - moved attached picture to gallery and replaced with image link - Sim' ]

Last edited by a moderator:
In the second table I made the capital growth zero and I matched the Internal Rate of Return by increasing the weekly gross rent to $182. After tax this produces a weekly income of $42. So to answer your question, the gross rent of a cashflow property may need to be 80% more than a growth property to achieve the same IRR. Put another way the gross rental yield needs to be at least 3% more than the loan interest rate to have a cashflow property.

3resize_of_pia01002.jpg

[ EDIT - moved attached picture to gallery and replaced with image link - Sim' ]

Last edited by a moderator:
Where that gets interesting though, is that there is very little property that wont grow, even if it's only CPI or 1%. That changes the whole calculation entirely.

0% growth is a good way of showing at a base level the worst result (actually, worse still would be -ve growth).

In reality, there's not too much that doesn't at least creep forward at least maybe 1%.

Good questions and answers guys.

Cheers,

Simon.

Originally posted by beech
I believe Capital growth to be the key ingredient for me personally but now with good equity under my belt im looking to add some cashflow positive property

Darren, had you considered just using equity for cashflow?

How many cashflow positive properties are you going to need to generate enough income to live in the style you want? Much easier to acquire a few more good solid capital gainers and draw down on equity to fund lifestyle. Thats my plan..

When I can live on around 50% of JUST an inflation rate of growth on my portfolio then I can choose to stop work if I want to. The sheer volume of work I'd have to do to acquire enough Cashflow Positive properties to do the same would be enormous, the management of that portfolio would take a lot of time as well.

I just cant see the value in scratching around for a property that might deliver $30-40pw when I can be looking for something thats going to deliver great capital gain, something that can have significant value added, something thats undepriced to begin with etc.

Duncan.

Good post, Mike.

I am, nonetheless, a little confused. My "simplistic" mental calculation said a $100K property growing at 8% is delivering $8000 of increased equity each year. The PIA figures show a holding cost of $9 per week for the first few years, or $39 per month. $8000 pa growth is $154 per week. Subtract $39 (holding cost) from $154 (equity increase) you get $115 per week "nett equity increase".

So how does receiving $42 after tax in your hand compare to getting $115 per week as an equity increase?

Sure, one figure is after tax and the equity increase is before CGT. But even assuming one sells with the 50% CGT discount, you pay essentially 25% tax, so this is still $86 per week equity increase compared to $42 "in your hand". And, in fact, this does not do the comparison justice because income tax is paid yearly and CGT is paid on sale, so you get the benefit of your entire $115 per week "compounding", compared to $42 per week.

Several seasoned investors on this web-site have suggested a good strategy (which I agree with): use capital growth property to achieve your wealth, and use positive cashflow property to fund the capital growth property, thereby neutralising your tax position. Self-funding of property acquisitions would presumably be the ultimate aim.

So, if I was following that strategy I would be looking at the positive cashflow property not in terms of how much it can deliver into my hands each week, but what it can deliver back towards paying off or paying for my other growth properties.

BTW, Mike, I'm interested to know whether you are primarily a neg. gear investor, a pos. geared investor, or a "combo" man?

Originally posted by Kevmeister

Several seasoned investors on this web-site have suggested a good strategy (which I agree with): use capital growth property to achieve your wealth, and use positive cashflow property to fund the capital growth property, thereby neutralising your tax position. Self-funding of property acquisitions would presumably be the ultimate aim.

Kev, further on this Mrs Dunc and I also buy properties with the expectation that in 5-7yrs they'll be cashflow positive anyway.. so you can buy with an intent to have Capital Gain AND a future expectation of Cashflow Positiveness..

The whole thing makes be positively wriggle with excitement. A constant tuning of the portfolio, strategically timing acquisitions and keeping a close eye on market rents its possible to have such a fantastic mix of Capital Gain, Tax Effectiveness, AND Cashflow (funding the capital gain on those properties that still need cash injections)..

It's like a financial answer to the search for Perpetual Motion.

Dunc.

If you are considering buying an IP in the current 'growth market' that has 0% growth what will that property be like when/if the bubble bursts ?. Will it have negative growth ?

I would buy such a property if it coveres interest + expenses + inflation + enough CF to neutralise a CF- IP and has the potential to increase it's cashflow. Using this criteria it will aid my DSR

Originally posted by WillG
I would buy such a property if it coveres interest + expenses + inflation + enough CF to neutralise a CF- IP and has the potential to increase it's cashflow. Using this criteria it will aid my DSR

Actually, it will probably negatively effect your DSR if you intend borrowing with a single bank.

Why?

A) They'll only take 80% of the rent into account. So your money spinner is as far as they are concerned losing money.

B) They'll calc your DSR as though your servicing the debt at Principal and Interest + 1.5%

Having said that.. if you're spreading the loans around a few banks it MIGHT help your DSR.. but only marginally.

Duncan.

Well ive come home to some excellent replys,thank you all.

Duncan i might not have explained myself to well.
I definately intend to use equity for income down the track and not buy a truck load of cashflow prop as i agree you would need plenty of them and all the work that goes with them.

I was thinking more along the line of what KEV alluded to with regards to self funding my neg/geared properties.

I also like your idea of stopping work (if you want to) when you can live on 50% of JUST the inflation rate of growth on you portfolio.
Hadnt heard that before,it makes you think.

Also buying IPs with the expectation of capital growth and cashflow positiveness by the time your ready to relax a bit is the type of thing im looking for as i map my own plans for the future.
No wonder you are positively wriggling with excitement Dunc you sound like you have a very clear mind with regards to your plans and goals.

thanks Darren

So, if I was following that strategy I would be looking at the positive cashflow property not in terms of how much it can deliver into my hands each week, but what it can deliver back towards paying off or paying for my other growth properties. - Kevin post #6
Sorry for the late reply, Kevin. I think we all agree that growth property is the way to long-term wealth for passive investors. To maximise your wealth will require you to continue getting loans to buy more growth property. Continually buying negative geared property, however, will prevent you from maximising your borrowings because of your poor serviceability. So at some point you may have to add some positive cashflow/low growth property.

I personally would not sacrifice growth for cashflow as Darren is suggesting because, as you pointed out Kevin, the net return of the cashflow property versus the growth property over ten years is too poor. If the cashflow property were to grow at the same rate as inflation ie 2% then the deal might be acceptable. Growth would be approx $22,000, net equity would be $32,000 to go with the $50 per week ($26,000 over 10 years) after-tax cashflow which could be re-invested to pay down other loans. The use of the extra cashflow then has value above monetary value because it is both improving your LVR and serviceability. Improving these two factors will enhance your ability to borrow more for further acquisitions.

In the future, I hope to develop a spreadsheet which will allow people to experiment with property purchases that have different cashflow scenarios - both negative and positive and show the impact to their overall LVR and DSR which in large part determines their borrowing capacity and, therefore, the value and timing of their next property purchase. People often ask how many properties are required to achieve a particular equity goal that can be converted one way or another into retirement income. I hope the spreadsheet will answer that difficult question reasonably well.
I am, nonetheless, a little confused. My "simplistic" mental calculation said a $100K property growing at 8% is delivering $8000 of increased equity each year. The PIA figures show a holding cost of $9 per week for the first few years, or $39 per month. $8000 pa growth is $154 per week. Subtract $39 (holding cost) from $154 (equity increase) you get $115 per week "nett equity increase".

So how does receiving $42 after tax in your hand compare to getting $115 per week as an equity increase?
In hindsight, IRR by itself is not an effective way of comparing "apples and oranges" ie growth and cashflow properties. I believe it is better utelised in comparing properties with similar cashflow characteristics. The NPV shows in todays dollars what the combined equity and cash return is for the two properties. After tax, you would have two or three times more equity after ten years with the growth property.

I asked Ian Somers to comment on using IRR to compare growth and cashflow properties. He has kindly agreed to let me post his thoughts here.

Quote - Its a very good question, but its not a simple one and I don't think that there is a simple answer.

Certainly the IRR is a very good measure of rate of return on a series of cash flows, and your analysis does provide a comparison of two sets of parameters that produce "equally good" cash flow series. Both have an equal initial investment, but from there the trajectories are quite different and you have to be a little careful with how the IRR (& NPV) formulae treat "dividends" as opposed to "investments" in the cash flow series. e.g. what if the dividends were reinvested? Note how the IRR varies (Graphics/IRR) in different trajectories for the two properties. The high growth property gains a lot of tax benefits compared to the other, and these of course, diminish over time.

A more realistic assessment would be to compare how quickly you can reach a pre-defined net wealth using the different property types (and even then what happens in reality is that you probably end up with a mixture anyway). In so doing, you would use whatever resources you had available at any point in time to continue to purchase properties of that type while ever the banks would continue to lend you the money. With high growth properties, the limiting factor will be servicing the debt (DSR's too high) while with high yield properties, it will be the equity which will be limiting (LVR's too high). To keep it realistic, any excess cash should be used to reduce debt (i.e. credit line model in the Wealth Builder).

Sounds a bit complicated? Well in fact you can do just this in the Wealth Builder spreadsheet and even use the "Maximise Wealth Builder" function to have the software do it for you. It is one of the exercises in the workshops Jan & I have been doing around Australia. Our conclusion is that each type can be equally effective at building wealth. Positive cash flow properties simply mean that you end up with a larger number of properties, you have to manage a larger debt on the way, you are less dependent on property growth, you are more vulnerable to rental vacancies and your build up in equity is based on mortgage reduction more than property growth.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Ian

Much easier to acquire a few more good solid capital gainers and draw down on equity to fund lifestyle. Thats my plan..

Duncan.

I am very interested in your statement re drawing down on equity to fund lifestyle. I have large equity built up and most IP's heavily -ve geared, and will probably buy more -ve geared IP's in near future (with high growth prospects). I spend much time looking at scenario's to better use this equity in the future for my "leisure", and so would be interested in a little more detail regarding this statement.

thx

Mike
Just curious
With the PIA spreadsheet you used, there is nothing under;
Dep. Building (Ok old building before 1988)
Dep contents ?
Loan costs ?
Property expenses ?

jahn

Hi Jahn,

I'd assume Mike used zero in both so that'd they be equal, just to get a comparison between a yeild property and a growth one. There are an infinite number of scenario's available otherwise.

-Regards

Dave

That's right, Dave. I was just running a what-if scenario and simplified the calculation by omitting those expenses and non-cash deductions.

However, let's say you were comparing an old property with a new property. The new property would have lots of depreciation but minimal maintenance costs whereas the old property would be the reverse so it would be important to include that info in PIA to compare the after-tax cashflows of the two properties.

Regards, Mike

I definately agree that capital growth proeprties are the way to go.
Another thing to consider is that as the value of a property grows, so does the rental it can achieve - altough the growth in rental wil often lag a couple of years - as is happening now in most areas.

What this means is that the rental growth for a property with high capital growth with outpace the rental growth of a property bought for rental return rather than capital growth

Thanks Dave and Mike
I should have seen that I suppose.
I've been focused on IPs reasonbly new in order to get dep and less maintenance. What a steep learning curve. It's a real balancing act to get the right mix of whats needed for the individual, but it seems to me the main thing is CG potential first, and then balance the rest depending on cashflow circumstances.!?

By the way. How does the IRR figure when you borrow the lot for an IP?
And how does that compare with financial advisors pushing equities? (that's the bit I like about IPs)

jahn

Back