Capitalism Explained

Even though it is sad...anybody who commits suicide over money, has more issues than money. (mental problems)

The fact he did it in a public place, is a abusive act on his part.

For the rest of the "sensitive people" ..lighten up, or don't bother reading this thread.

This was a funny thread.
Everyone knows the sheep jokes..and two headed ones from Tasmania.
So what !!

Normal jokes are fine kathryn., as I said about when the olympics were on and jokes started about Greece struggling to get ready on time

As has been said many times

It's when we start to get nasty and talk down rudely ab out people whilst laughing at them that it hurts

Again, no malice / sarcasm intended

Why do Greeks wear gold chains around their neck ? So they know where to stop shaving

Quite obviously, as pointed out by more than 1 person the insensitivity, either intentional or not, got to the point of being rude & hurtful, we've just tried to point it out and ask for it to be toned back to normal jokes so that it wouldn't be hurtful to people.

Again, no malice / sarcasm intended

No comment about the pensioner who killed himself his circumstances etc.

Last edited:
Even though it is sad...anybody who commits suicide over money, has more issues than money. (mental problems)

The fact he did it in a public place, is a abusive act on his part.

For the rest of the "sensitive people" ..lighten up, or don't bother reading this thread.

This was a funny thread.
Everyone knows the sheep jokes..and two headed ones from Tasmania.
So what !!

I don't think that's fair

If someone worse something offensive about you, I think you should have the right to mention that it is offensive, I mean the forum has ways for users to report exactly that.

It's when we start to get nasty and talk down rudely ab out peo-plle whilst laughing at them that it hurts

But it didn't get nasty and rude ... initally there was a funny comment about capitalism and the financial systems of various countries (ie, Ireland, NZ, Greece, Australia, USA, UK, etc).

None of it was personal or hurtful on a personal level - until yourself and a few others decided to take offence and delve deeper.

I'm with Kathryn ... it was initally on par with dumb Irishmen, sheep rooting Kiwi's, beer swilling Aussies and obnoxious yanks ... and some of us tried to keep it there.

But it didn't get nasty and rude ... initally there was a funny comment about capitalism and the financial systems of various countries (ie, Ireland, NZ, Greece, Australia, USA, UK, etc).

None of it was personal or hurtful on a personal level - until yourself and a few others decided to take offence and delve deeper.

I'm with Kathryn ... it was initally on par with dumb Irishmen, sheep rooting Kiwi's, beer swilling Aussies and obnoxious yanks ... and some of us tried to keep it there.

lizzie,

we explained it came across rude and that's all we said

I even said it was not necessarily intentional, but the result was a bit rough and sounded a bit hurtful

As I said, when the olympics were on, there were lots of jokes made about Greece, and I forwarded lots of them across email to other friends

However, these jokes, I could not do that with.

Not trying to tell you what to do other than maybe not be rude without meaning to

God forgive the gentleman who killed himself and may he rest in peace.

I really don't know what else to say. God forgive the gentleman who killed himself and may he rest in peace.

Last edited:
WOW just WOW !

Not 100% sure, but believe that is 13 yo schoolgirl code for ;

'I disagree with what you are saying, but my vocabulary is undeveloped to the point that I cannot possibly think of what to say in reply."

Onya Lizzie / Redwing / Kathryn....there have been some very funny contributions so far. Keep 'em coming !!

'I disagree with what you are saying, but my vocabulary is undeveloped to the point that I cannot possibly think of what to say in reply."

Onya Lizzie / Redwing / Kathryn....there have been some very funny contributions so far. Keep 'em coming !!

Not sure, but I believe the "13 yr old schoolgirl answer" had more substance to it than whatever code you were using :confused:

Sorry, I'm just making a joke ha haha & all that good stuff

Then don't get involved and spoil it for everyone else who was enjoying. Simple.

Sometimes methinks the PC on SS is becoming BS

Because I thought I was in on the conversation, therefore I stayed in and just said "hey that might have been a bit rough" It's not always a big deal, most of the time people say YEAH OK and chill out on being so rude....

That is all I expected educated / intelligent people on this forum and have honestly been surprised by the behaviour chosen.

There is also a REPORT function on the forum, which suggests that people are allowed to have feelings and even express them when they feel other people's forum posts are offensive etc.

Incorrect, it is because the world is primarily a cold intellectual evolutionary trajectory....

Then don't get involved and spoil it for everyone else who was enjoying. Simple.

Why is the continuation of the jokes more important than stopping them out of respect for the feelings voiced by a fellow forumer, offended by them (rightly or wrongly)? After all no two people will ever truly have the same response to any given thing such as a seemingly innocent joke, especially in the wake of such a tragedy.

Having a sense of humour or not is not the issue here.

Why is the continuation of the jokes more important than stopping them out of respect for the feelings voiced by a fellow forumer, offended by them

It's more important because in a democracy, the majority rules.

If 5 people are offended, and 900 enjoy the joke, it makes sense that the 5 sensitive petals huddle together in the corner and have a good cry together, be sick, whatever it takes.....and leave the other 900 to enjoy themselves, rather than try and dictate to the majority to shut everything down.

After all no two people will ever truly have the same response to any given thing

Exactly right, so why does the minority try and silence the majority. Go and read something else if it upsets you. The internet is a big place, plenty to read.

It certainly is on a deliberate and obvious joke thread, right from the get go.

I agree with you Lizzie - the PC on SS, just like in wider society, is BS. The petals running around gagging everyone for fear of being offended.....what a crock. Flog of to some corner and have a good cry.....tragic alright.

Darn - must spread myself before giving you more kudos Dazz. Nothing I can add, as summed up perfectly.

If the majority did nothing (humour, adventurous, experimental) for fear of offending the few - the world would be a very sad and stagnent place.

Perfect example - don't like Billy Connolly swearing? Fine. Don't go to his concerts or watch him on TV, but don't try to dictate to those that do find him hillarious.

Why is the continuation of the jokes more important than stopping them out of respect for the feelings voiced by a fellow forumer, offended by them (rightly or wrongly)? After all no two people will ever truly have the same response to any given thing such as a seemingly innocent joke, especially in the wake of such a tragedy.

Dazz no ones trying to SILENCE anyone -

I just honestly thought no one wanted to be a rude for reason

But it seems you & lizzie are telling me I'm wrong

How stupid of me, nearly 6000 posts to get the real message

I just honestly thought no one wanted to be a rude for reason

Yes - but - the majority didn't see it as being rude.

Only a few were offended because they chose to read more into it than what was being said (due to their own perception).

You know what they say about sterotypes..it is based in truth.

I actually do say "no doubt about it" :)..but not "eh"..that is more from Ontario region.

Did you know god is a canadian?

When he was naming all the countries he got to canada and ran out of ideas, so he decided to draw letters out of a hat.

The first letter was a C "eh", then an N "eh"... :D

Apologies in advance for any religions that may be offended by this joke

Did you know god is a canadian?

When he was naming all the countries he got to canada and ran out of ideas, so he decided to draw letters out of a hat.

The first letter was a C "eh", then an N "eh"... :D

Apologies in advance for any religions that may be offended by this joke

Cute..(I'm an atheist..but love religious jokes)

Back