Car dealer offering exterior/ interior care

Anyone have any ideas about the care kits dealers try and sell you when you by second hand vehicles.

This one in particular is called Fusion, it offers protection agaisnt

Exterior:

bird dropping,
tree sap,
Bat crap,
Industrial fall out,
Acid rain,
Berry and fruit stains
etc

Interior: (The car has full leather seats)

Alcohol/ wine stains,
Doft drink/ soy sauce,
Lipstick/ make up,
Ink stains,
Cracking & splitting,
Food,
etc

The price is $1300 for the car to be treated with the kit, also comes with a little car washing kit too.

I was thinking would it be a lot cheaper to head down to super cheap auto and get some after market care products??

I was thinking would it be a lot cheaper to head down to super cheap auto and get some after market care products??
You're right. This is overpriced stuff that has a warranty, if you need to claim on it, that is not worth a pinch of the proverbial....run Forest run!

A girlfriend of mine is an after sales person and she has never applied any item to any of her cars.

As she so rightly pointed out, what is the point of paint protection when nearly all cars site near salt water prior to export and then again when they are in port in Australia.

Waste of money. Don't do it.

Put the $1300 towards fuel, rego and insurance next year.

One of my mates turns over his cars every 2 years. New each time.

His last line to the salesman before he says yes is something like: "if you try to turn me over to the after-market team the deal is off."

if you turn your car over every 2 years - then it's not worth it.

if you plan to keep your car for a long time then it's worth doing.

the cost is high as you are pretty much buying an insurance. you could apply them yourself for the fraction of the cost, but then if something happens you only have yourself to blame.

so the answer to your question is really, whether you want insurance against all of that stuff or not.

It's a sham... just like dealer window tinting.

They use the same products / companies you can directly, for a fraction of the cost. Why not drive it directly from the dealership to a local company that does it (probably where the dealer sends it if not done in house) and save yourself some money.

The scotch guard etc. is worthwhile, but the dealer prices are a ripoff.

We were sucked in to pay $1000 for under body spraying (to reduce road noise or something?) and scotchguard the fabric (worthwhile) and paint protection (waste of money).

It was our first ever "new" car (it was a demo model so we got a very reduced price). I would never pay it again. I would get the scotchguard done elsewhere (or do it myself) and paint protection is only good until someone runs a shopping trolley into the car or stone chips appear, or your own dog scratches the door where his little paws hang over :p or anything else that happens that isn't bad enough to spend a $400 excess on fixing.

I believe it is a rip-off but at the time, it seemed a good idea to protect our new "baby" :D.

I remember the after-sales-chick tried to get me to run my hand over a car that had had its paintwork treated, marvelling at its smooth, glossiness....I remember thinking, 'How often do I run my hand down my car & revel at its smoothness.....NEVER!!!!!

What a skam...IMO

waste of cash on a gimmick, for detailing, see Damian @ Final Inspection if you ever need anything detail related, or his forum finalinspection.com.au.

otherwise tell em to shove it where it fits!

"if you try to turn me over to the after-market team the deal is off."

I had no idea about all this money making stuff, until I bought my first brand new car two years ago. Sat me down to try and sell me a whole lot of what I considered to be crap. I just sat there, smiled and without hesitation she got a whole lot of no's. She seemed surprised that I was handing over a bank cheque, so they got no finance out of me and then couldn't sell any add ons. And for what it's worth, two years later it still looks as new as the day I bought it.

we have been through the same process recently and i simply told the after sales person that i didn't have anything left in the budget for her products. that was the end of that chat.

as for the paint protection, our car came with 12 years anti corrosion 3 years factory warranty on faulty paintwork, i don't need to spend another $1000+ for more.

Scotchguard is good but i dont need to pay someone a lot of money to spray a can, i think i can manage that.

Back