Car Dealer Price Lists

Hi all,

Recently I bought a new car and when negotiating the price, the dealer whips out a price sheet from a folder. These were their 'cost prices' for each respective model.

Now as per real estate agents, car dealers are professional liars and scammers so i've never really believed anything they say.

However does anyone on here have any knowledge regarding these so called price lists? Are they cost prices that they simply make up and show to retail customers that they're not really making much money.

Incidentally this was for a $125k car which the dealer claims he is making no money!

Thanks
Alex

I can believe that - I don't think car dealers make any money on cars less than 150k, the cheaper ones are loss leaders I was lead to believe with the intent that you'll buy your next more expensive car with them.

Yrs, when can you tell when a carsalsman is lying
A; when they move their lips

If theyvwere making a loss they wouldn't be in the busienss unless it's a loss leader or dead stock

I suppose they acted as though you were doing them a favour by spending 125k

It could be like the white goods, electrical retail trade, they do have a "wholesale price list" which they are invoiced at and will occasionally sell at + $1

They just don't mention the rebate off that price paid to them by the manufacturer which on some items can be 15% :)

Last edited:
It's not a cost price list, it's a list of the prices the dealership will sell for without attempting negotiation. Profit margin is already built in, although friends in the industry tell me margin is pretty small these days. On a light car they might only make a few hundred profit, which is not much once you take into account paying the sales staff, the support staff, site costs, inventory holding costs, and then profit.

VYBerlinaV8, that's interesting (and what I thought). I do though recall seeing on the document(s) something along the lines of 'Cost Price'.

Back