Car Servicing Advice please

Just took my car in for a log book service today. When I went and booked it, I told the girl at the desk that I wanted a service so it would be entered into my Holden logbook. She said I may need the $199 service, I said that's fine, that's what I paid last time.

When I dropped the car off this morning, the mechanic at the desk said since it was a log book service it was gonna cost $313.00. I nearly had a meltdown.

Now he's rung to say I need two new tyres, handbrake needs adjusting, new wiper blade, new bushes (whatever they are, but $410.00), wheel alignment. I told him to write to down so I can see what needs doing.

When I go and pick it up later, will they still sign the log book even though there are things that need doing to the car, which I'm gonna look for prices to make sure they're not ripping me off?

Thanks
Queen Bee

Hi Queen Bee,

I'm the service Manager at a Holden dealership... If they have told you that it's going to be $313 for the service alone, then that is what you will pay, unless you have given the go ahead for the additional repairs listed in the phone call.
It's common practice for us to ring the customer with additional items but never go ahead with it unless there is consent.

Out of interest, what model commodore and how may km service?

It's in for a 90,000km service, it's a 2006 Commodore Executive.

What are suspension bushes and why would I need new ones? LOL. My first thought when he told me was that my husband drives too fast!

IMHO, you are crazy to take your car to a dealership to get serviced. You will pay through the nose. They charge you for absolutely everything and at a premium.

My first thought is that you should have got your husband to drop the car in for the service. The car mechanics are more likely to overcharge a woman than a bloke.

It's in for a 90,000km service, it's a 2006 Commodore Executive.

What are suspension bushes and why would I need new ones? LOL. My first thought when he told me was that my husband drives too fast!

Front or rear? Bushes shouldn't wear out in 90,000km unless you were driving on corrugated roads for all of it - and even then your dampers would have probably gone long ago.

If it really has gone, then I'd be really worried about the safety of the car.

Cheers,

The Y-man

IMHO, you are crazy to take your car to a dealership to get serviced. You will pay through the nose. They charge you for absolutely everything and at a premium.

That's what I used to think too, but where I live, the "independents" have "caught up" and there really isn't muich of a price difference between getting my car dealer serviced vs taking to the "local mechanic" - plus the dealership is only 5 minutes walk from my work which biases my decision!

Cheers,

The Y-man

How did you know it was a commodore? :confused::)

educated guess my friend ;)

In regard to independents vs dealers... entirely up to the individual. I will say, however, that MY mechanics are all factory trained and EXPERTS in maintaining and repairing MY product. They know what goes wrong and why and know how to fix it. Our parts and labour is warranted for 2 years/50,000kms, something you wont find with an independent mechanic...

That being said, you ARE paying a premium in the city for servicing compared to where I am and we do have quite a few customers who will travel long kms for a service with my dealership :D

I didn't take it to a dealership, ummmm, I took it to KMart.

The mechanic said the bush things in front of the front tyres wear out (he reckons it's a Holden fault) and that he does at least one a day, every day. He said that he would replace it with rubber ones ($410), that if they wear out it makes the front tyre move forward slightly when you put your foot on the brake? He said it's not a major, it just makes your tyres wear out more quickly. So is he telling fibs??? LOL.

Then he starting going on about how he knew what he was talking about cos he did his apprenticeship with Holden back in NZ. God, they're all dam cowboys back in NZ, I think he thought I'd be impressed!

MY mechanics are all factory trained and EXPERTS in maintaining and repairing MY product. They know what goes wrong and why and know how to fix it. Our parts and labour is warranted for 2 years/50,000kms, something you wont find with an independent mechanic...

Hi Hados,

I'd be interested to hear your views re the bushes .... especially given the urr... "other opinion"....

Cheers,

The Y-man

He said that he would replace it with rubber ones ($410), that if they wear out it makes the front tyre move forward slightly when you put your foot on the brake?

Well in that case, maybe you can get nolathane ones! :D

(Ignore this comment - it'll only make sense to a car nut)

Cheers,

The Y-man

They're either talking control arm or radius rod bushes, both of which will make the front wheels move forward in the wheel arch under braking conditions. If the so called 'mechanic' is telling you the 'bushes' are worn, would be interesting to see what he is actually talking about...
Yes Y-man, in vehicles that are out of warranty we do use nolathane bushes in the front end, they tighten everything up good as new and cost less than half the price of new :p

They're either talking control arm or radius rod bushes, both of which will make the front wheels move forward in the wheel arch under braking conditions. If the so called 'mechanic' is telling you the 'bushes' are worn, would be interesting to see what he is actually talking about...

As a guesstimate, how long would it take either to wear down in "normal" circumstances (assuming regular service carried out etc)? :confused:

Cheers,

The Y-man

Yes Y-man, in vehicles that are out of warranty we do use nolathane bushes in the front end, they tighten everything up good as new and cost less than half the price of new :p

Uhh.... are you allowed to put that without a certain company getting upset?

The Y-man

To tell you the truth, with stop start driving like you get in the city, cars tend to wear out rather dramatically compared to 'country kms'. We find that VT-VX commodores are common with these issues (being 10+ years old) at around 140-150,000kms. But in some cases like city driving it could be as little as half that.

In regard to the non genuine parts, that's something that if the customer requests, we oblige. Obviously warranties and the like are affected, but it's their choice...

We brought the car last June with a 5 year warranty, but we're not sure what is actually covered in it, I wonder if bushes are?

Our car has only done 86000 kms

Here is what he has written down that is wrong with the car.

wiper blade = $29.00, 2 rear tyres (one is bald, one has a nail in it) $279, Brake fluid flush $65, Caster rod bushes worn $410, power steering rack weeping (no price).

Then turns around after all that and says that the car is in amazing condition. Go figure?

Be thankful. I took mine in today. It's going to cost upwards of $2400. Apparently my car is in good condition too.:confused:

Back