Car upgrade will set me back 3 years

What about buying a lower end collectors car? I have to buy a car soon and I'm thinking of buying something that if I sell it then it will hold most of it's value at least. I would also enjoy driving something with style rather than the latest mass produced modern car anyway. I have not done any research on this yet but just an idea and I would also want something under 10k!

Am I the only one who thinks you could maybe buy a pretty good car for around $10,000 that will hold it's value? Sure it might not have the latest iphone installed but driving a 80's merc or BMW etc might be enjoyable. I'm sure if you research and find a model that holds it's price or is rising then how can you lose if you drive it for a year and trade it in for another, keep doing this if you like....

Have fun paying repairs/service. Plus who wants to drive an old car with no air con and power steering in the traffic everyday.
Most of the cars I'm thinking about had air con & power steering. European cars had these features long before Holdens got them. :rolleyes: They also should be quite reliable if they have been looked after and have a full service history. I don't mind driving an old car if it as class and style, much better than some run of the mill mass produced thing that is built to last 2-3 years before it starts falling apart. I don't buy a car to impress the trendy neighbors to show I have the latest model but for comfort, style and enjoyment. Ideallly I would love a nice European convertable.

Am I the only one who thinks you could maybe buy a pretty good car for around $10,000 that will hold it's value? Sure it might not have the latest iphone installed but driving a 80's merc or BMW etc might be enjoyable. I'm sure if you research and find a model that holds it's price or is rising then how can you lose if you drive it for a year and trade it in for another, keep doing this if you like....

the repairs woul dbe around the same cost as owning a new car, so it's just horses for courses

Most of the cars I'm thinking about had air con & power steering. European cars had these features long before Holdens got them. :rolleyes: They also should be quite reliable if they have been looked after and have a full service history. I don't mind driving an old car if it as class and style, much better than some run of the mill mass produced thing that is built to last 2-3 years before it starts falling apart. I don't buy a car to impress the trendy neighbors to show I have the latest model but for comfort, style and enjoyment. Ideallly I would love a nice European convertable.

Heehe true, thye usually fo have mod con's before their Austrlaian/asian coutnerparts...

An old SL Merc convertible woud be nice. I saw a burgundy one I think in perth, mainitained very very nicely...looked fantastic and yes, full of stlye

Unfortuatnely, to buy a nicely maintiatned one, ro do it up yourself, will it e any cheaper than a new/near new non European presitge car ? Running costs tkaing into accoutn parrs would be about the same at least I guess

Forget second hand European prestige cars, they will beggar you.

There's a lot to be said for sensibly priced newer vehicles. Modern cars are far more reliable than vehicles older than 10 years.

jaycee - can you please re-read you posts before hitting the send button.

nearly every fourth word in your posts is spelt wrong and annoying to read.

Heehe true, thye usually fo have mod con's before their Austrlaian/asian coutnerparts...

An old SL Merc convertible woud be nice. I saw a burgundy one I think in perth, mainitained very very nicely...looked fantastic and yes, full of stlye

Unfortuatnely, to buy a nicely maintiatned one, ro do it up yourself, will it e any cheaper than a new/near new non European presitge car ? Running costs tkaing into accoutn parrs would be about the same at least I guess

I'm usually pretty frugal but if you can afford it why not. I had buyers remorse when I bought a new European car recently, tried using the old commodore for a month... didn't last.. went back driving it, there's just something about expensive cars... It's like picking up white bread at a grocery store.. Most people choose the branded version (TipTop) over the HomeBrand version, yet TipTop supply Homebrand bread.... and it's 50% cheaper.

Back