Carlingford vs Hornsby

how long is a piece of string? They each have pros and cons but I would go for Hornsby. The only thing with hornsby is the limited stock but the council isn't too bad. I am personally not a big fan of carlingford.

C Vs H

Hiya

Both areas seem to be very popular now with ethnic Chinese...but i would prefer Hornsby myself ...can't put my finger to it but my antenna tells me that whereas Carlingford is more "Asianised" earlier, Hornsby is still at its "early stages"...

Just had a friend who moved from Hurstville (and we know how the Chinese there have pushed up the prices:eek:), "downsized" to Hornsby (also for her daughter to go to Hornsby Girls High School)...and end up with a wallop of cash:D

Plus it does not hurt that Hornsby is at the junction of 2 major train lines and a few private schools and border more "prestigious" Wahroonga...and a Westfield..

Heck! What does Carlingford have? oh wait a minute...James Ruse Selective:eek: plus terrible transport options...

Which suburb is better to invest, Carlingford or Hornsby? Your advice would be appreciated.

You did not mention whether it was a house or a unit that you were interested in?

If you'd asked this Q 15 years ago, the answer then, for a unit was that you'd be better off buying in Carlingford (only on a strictly CG basis) - see chart.
As for now onwards - who knows? They're both good, you probably can't make a mistake whichever one you choose. Buy one in each place then all your bases are covered. :D

Attachments

• CarlingfordVsHornsby.jpg
    CarlingfordVsHornsby.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 151
I agree with the others; the school-catchment-zone obsession that the Asian buyers watch closely, will tend to dictate how much CG prices will grow (artificially, and/or organically). That being said, I'd still tip Hornsby over Carlingford at this stage.

Both suburbs are seeing a lot of new 5-8 storey residential apartment developments going up as part of the Council's Housing Strategy.

There were a number of other precincts within Carlingford which were proposed in the strategy then scrapped which may be in an indication that they could be rezoned to higher density later on? With Carlingford on the edge of three local government areas, some have suggested that each of these councils have placed increase housing stock targets in this area to meet goals.

I agree with virgo comments. I think Hornsby is the winner all the way. We have been looking around Carlingford too before. But we ended up buying in Hornsby now. Hornsby has a nice and big Westfield and served by frequent train service, including express train to Central (only takes you around 40 minutes from Hornsby to Central. It won't be hurt to look around Pennant Hills, Thornleigh and Normanhurst areas as well... I think virgo would be more than happy to help you with those areas :)

H vs C

... I think virgo would be more than happy to help you with those areas :)

Errr....where's my buyer's agent fees...let me look for it:p

BTW congrats Frankie; i'm glad you ended up in Hornsby:D how's the wife's track down to the city these days?:)

I agree with virgo comments. I think Hornsby is the winner all the way. We have been looking around Carlingford too before. But we ended up buying in Hornsby now. Hornsby has a nice and big Westfield and served by frequent train service, including express train to Central (only takes you around 40 minutes from Hornsby to Central. It won't be hurt to look around Pennant Hills, Thornleigh and Normanhurst areas as well... I think virgo would be more than happy to help you with those areas :)

What street did you end up buying on, Frankie?

@virgo: wow I don't know that you're charging buyer's agent fee there hehehe... wait for the next Somersoft Sydney meeting, I may come and bring something for you hehehe :) we haven't moved yet, just come out of cooling off period today and still waiting for settlement in 8 weeks time (seller's request). But she has tried using the express train in the afternoon and she said it was really quick (I think only took about 35 minutes from Central to Hornsby and vice versa). Thank you for your help, though, Appreciate it, virgo.

@Aries: It's on Forbes Street, Aries.

Well done Frankie on securing something- I hope it all works for you :)

Carlingford vs Hornsby DOES depend on a no. of factors:

Investment or home?
Budget?
Criteria?
Is proximity to CBD transport essential?
LIfestyle preferences (shops, schools, parks, health care etc)

I grew up in Carlingford and boy has it changed- not necessarily in a bad way however it certainly doesn't seem to present as well as it did when I was growing up. The newer houses of my childhood appear very rundown in some streets, whilst other areas still look pretty flash. It does depend very much on where in this suburb (and Hornsby) as they are both geographically large areas. You do need to be mindful of access in and out of certain streets, as peak hour can be havoc on Pennant Hills Rd (got to love that road :eek:). Sydney is just getting busier and busier.... it's just so nice to come home to my quiet verandah and little piece of acreage paradise in the afternoons :D

Best of luck with your impending quest to purchase!

Somersoft meeting

@virgo: wow I don't know that you're charging buyer's agent fee there hehehe... wait for the next Somersoft Sydney meeting, I may come and bring something for you hehehe :) we haven't moved yet, just come out of cooling off period today and still waiting for settlement in 8 weeks time (seller's request). But she has tried using the express train in the afternoon and she said it was really quick (I think only took about 35 minutes from Central to Hornsby and vice versa). Thank you for your help, though, Appreciate it, virgo.

@Aries: It's on Forbes Street, Aries.

Hi Frankie

I have never been to any of the Somersoft Sydney meeting; but hey! if you are bringing me something, i will try my darnest to make it , how's that?:D

@jacque: Thank you, Jacque. Yes it is such a relief to find a house after going around Carlingford, Baulkham Hills, Epping, Eastwood, Artarmon and other places. I think I know most of the major streets in Sydney north and northwest area now ;) What I observed was the housing market in these areas are really moving up. More than 5 groups were usually coming for the open house inspection and houses were sold above the listing price 1-2 weeks after the first open house.

@virgo: Sure, depend on when and where the meeting will be, I may come hehehe... that would be good to meet up with some of Somersoft members as well..:D

@virgo: Sure, depend on when and where the meeting will be, I may come hehehe... that would be good to meet up with some of Somersoft members as well..:D

OMG! My first Somersoft blind date:p And between 2 married people too!:eek:
(sorry can't resist...i think i will stop the banter now!)

OMG! My first Somersoft blind date:p And between 2 married people too!:eek:
(sorry can't resist...i think i will stop the banter now!)

LOL... I think I have to apologise to the OP since I think I hijacked the thread. I won't alter the topic any further and I hope my previous post is useful for the OP.

@jacque: Thank you, Jacque. Yes it is such a relief to find a house after going around Carlingford, Baulkham Hills, Epping, Eastwood, Artarmon and other places. I think I know most of the major streets in Sydney north and northwest area now ;) What I observed was the housing market in these areas are really moving up. More than 5 groups were usually coming for the open house inspection and houses were sold above the listing price 1-2 weeks after the first open house.

Frankie.

Sold sign is now up.

Spoke with Prada girl who said they had 45 couples through your townhouse on the first open house weekend.

Frankie.

Sold sign is now up.

Spoke with Prada girl who said they had 45 couples through your townhouse on the first open house weekend.

Hi Neil,

Wow I was surprised to hear that 45 couples went through the first open house. There were many people coming but I did not expect 45 couples. Yes, she's really keen to put the sold sign up even before the cooling off period ends. I don't know for what reasons...
There is another 3 bedroom townhouse going for auction on the same street. I think that will go above 660k for sure.. but it is backing on the railway though...

Hornsby Townhouse

Hi Frankie

Mind sharing the asking price and your final price? i'm just curious on the level of discounting going on around this area...

BTW beautiful townhouse:D

Hi Frankie

Mind sharing the asking price and your final price? i'm just curious on the level of discounting going on around this area...

BTW beautiful townhouse:D

HI virgo,

The asking price is $640k and we offered them 662k. This is because previous sale with similar 3 bedroom townhouse sold for $675k, so we are thinking that the agent must be targeting price around 660k...

Thank you, virgo, can't wait to settle and explore the area :)

Back