Carpet from Bunnings

Just wondering if anyone has bought carpet from Bunnings? what is the process?

I had a look and the prices seemed cheaper than the shops, eventhough I think they are just a middle man? but I stood there for 10 mins and just all the staff were too busy.

Just wanted some feedback. Thanks

if anyone can recommend a very cheap supplier in Brisbane would be great.

I had a look and the prices seemed cheaper than the shops, eventhough I think they are just a middle man? but I stood there for 10 mins and just all the staff were too busy.

Happens to me at Bunnings as well. Some of their staff are very helpful but others are useless. I found a sales woman once, middle aged woman who showed me around the store and helped me find all the things I had on my huge list. She was great, it was like having your aunt or something show you around her home and tell you what's what etc... :D I then filled out a customer feedback form for her and wrote of my good experience.

I got a call a week or 2 later from the manager, thanking me for my feedback. He told me all the staff came in that morning and they had a sort of assembly while the person I gave the feedback for was awarded some sort of rank and a pay rise and is on the way to working her way up the ladder at Bunnings. So if you ever go there and find someone really good like her then let them know!

Sorry I can't help with the carpet but someone should be able to offer some advice...

I can't help with the carpet either, but I can say the best time to go to Bunnings is in the evening. Fridays at 7pm or so are great. It's usually just me and a few other losers who have nothing better to do than wander around a hardware store on a Friday night. I've been there when the staff have outnumbered the punters. The staff are usually stacking shelves for the weekend and often very keen for a distraction i.e. helping me find something.
Scott

if you know a carpet layer then you can buy the carpet thru them. i have one who i used on several jobs tell me to just let him know what carpet i want and he'll get it for me direct ... costs about $30-40/m less than retail.

sorry - can't help with brisbane, and i'm sure the layers don't help out just anyone. i assume you'd have to be a regular with them.

Bunnings do advertise a DIY carpet laying kit, too. Can't remember what it consists off. Laying carpet isn't something I would tackle myself - unless it was maybe for a small spare room or something.
Scott

Hello all,

Reader since last year (was looking for first home) - first time poster :)

I got a quote from Bunnings for putting carpet in the bedrooms wherein someone sits with you and enters the details (room dimensions etc) into a PC and they give you a rough quote. If you agree someone comes to your house for final quote on behalf of bunnings (this is usually someone who has a carpet business and has contracted with bunnings).

What I found was that the carpet was cheap but the labour was really expensive. As someone else has said carpet layers can buy the carpet for you (from bunnings if you want them to).

As far me I visited a couple of carpet places and they all had some End of line/end of Roll carpet enough for two rooms- so picked one of them - nice people and great prices.

Cheapest carpet laying we had was on a PPOR with polished floors, but we wanted carpet in three bedrooms. We bought carpet from somewhere (I think from an auction place but we didn't bid - maybe passed in and just "for sale") and organised a carpet layer who was very reasonably priced.

Only trouble was he was born again Christian and while we had smoko, he tried to convert us.

It was weird, and we politely steered the conversation to other things, but it was awkward.

Sue

I've actually used Bunnings a few months ago and they were very competitive on the product I wanted.

They use an external company to do the installation so you'll pay Bunnings for the carpet and the other company for the underlay and the install

In another lifetime I worked for Bunnings.

Staff are generally hired on their ability to be friendly and product knowledge is second, although from personal experience I know it's not hard to get a job there if you know what they're looking for ;)

Some staff are great at their jobs, some are just pickup up a pay packet. Also keep in mind many of them are not rocket scientists but a few are ex-tradies so they'll know their products and instillation quite well.

For the most part, they simply sell carpet by the meter. The staff in each department are specifically trained in that area and should be able to help you pick out what you want, cut it and they'll often help you load it into your car.

Delivery and instillation can be organized through the trade desk.

Bunnings have a lowest price guarantee and they are serious about it (cheaper than the same product elsewhere, or 10% off the competitors price). Within certain parameters staff are able to implement this will little hassle.

Best time to go is usually after 7pm. Worst time is on the weekends. If you are there on the weekends though, often the person with the best 'all round' knowledge is the person running the DIY workshops.

I have used these guys twice now, both times got a cheap but modern looking poly carpet (picture attached). Was just over $700 for 3 double bedrooms, including laying. The carpet layers looked very shady when they turned up but ended up being very good, they even layed carpet inside the wardrobes free of charge, and put in trims at no cost After 3 years it still looks like new and all the joins are fine.

Second time I used them, one of the rooms had carpet from a different batch and was ever so slightly a shade lighter. When I told them they took the price of that room of the invoice total without any hesitation. You can't even tell unless it's pointed out to you.

Carpet Clearance Warehouse
35 Sherwood Rd, Rocklea
Contact Name: Jeff Hassall

Attachments

• get_img_resize_by_name.pl.jpg
    get_img_resize_by_name.pl.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 879
good replies. thanks

ic, maybe get them to come out and do a quote.

James- thanks I will check it out.

apparently I need to buy a good grade carpet for stairs as the cheap carpet are not suitable. My last quote was $8.5k..My budget is about $3.5k

We just did a house full of carpet. We used commercial grade, that many large apartment owners use here.We glued it down.

I work at a carpet factory, and didn't purchase there, as it is just too much hassel. Where I bought it, supplied the tradesmen to install.Having a good repoir with a certain store helps a lot. We received a good discount, as we also installed VC tile in the rest of the house.

All up it cost $4900 for the complete house for flooring. Not bad for a 3 bedroom Cape Cod

I have used these guys twice now, both times got a cheap but modern looking poly carpet (picture attached). Was just over $700 for 3 double bedrooms, including laying. The carpet layers looked very shady when they turned up but ended up being very good, they even layed carpet inside the wardrobes free of charge, and put in trims at no cost After 3 years it still looks like new and all the joins are fine.

Second time I used them, one of the rooms had carpet from a different batch and was ever so slightly a shade lighter. When I told them they took the price of that room of the invoice total without any hesitation. You can't even tell unless it's pointed out to you.

Carpet Clearance Warehouse
35 Sherwood Rd, Rocklea
Contact Name: Jeff Hassall

Good post James.

I will keep this contact up my sleeve, as I will be looking at around 200m2 soon for a few of my properties.

Cheers,

F

Back