Carpet, Laid /m2

Hi guys,

I've been checking out some carpet websites and the lack of pricing is killing me.
I want to re-floor 3x bedrooms and 1x living room.

bed1 12m2
bed2 12m2
bed3 36m2
living 60m2

Can anyone give me a thumbsuck price to start working from for decent, hard wearing carpet, laid with underlay, per square meter.

Am I better off going with the layer the carpet store recommends, or finding my own?

Is a floating wood-look floor (which I would install myself) cheaper /m2? Is it more or less durable than average carpet.

Any keywords or styles or products I should look for (/avoid) when I start looking for things?

Can you tell I have no idea what I'm doing?

I would assume a laminate, floating floor (cheap one) would be cheaper if installed yourself compared to carpet.

Is it for an IP or a PPOR? If an IP - and you don't want to spend too much, get bunnings around for a measure and quote. It's free and they're quite competitive.

Cheers

Jamie

Bunnings, huh? I didn't realise.

It's for a PPOR, a bit of a backyard blitz surprise reno for an older couple. A lot of grandkids to spill food and drinks. Still on a budget, and anything is better than the 30+ year old stuff currently there.

id consider vinyl planks if i were you. they look pretty good nowadays and are virtually idiot proof.

price would prob be similar to carpet if youre doing DIY

@sanj

Just buy them from bunnings/masters too? I think they'll be ok in all rooms expect the master. old people like carpet in their bedrooms. (well, these ones do)

Square metres dont really as carpet is sold by linear metre which is 3.6m width. Depending on room dimensions the carpet will be joined or cut which will vary the price eg a T cut is cheaper than a side join.

As a rough guide, for OK level polyprop twist pile $40 sqm laid on gold rubber is a budget figure, add 10% for cut overhead. For quality solution dyed nylon expect to be into the $60-70sqm range.

As a rough, rough estimate (when putting feaso figures on the back on an envelope - but which surprisingly often works out about right!) I allow $500-$550 per 12sqm area. So for carpet for this place, you'd be looking at around $5000 - $5500.

I'd go for a Solution Dyed Nylon carpet. Probably 'loop pile' if there is a risk of grandchildren dropping food etc on the floor.

However, I do agree with sanj in that vinyl planks could be a great alternative. It will depend on where the property is located (hard floors are great for hotter climates) and whether of course your older couple would be ok with them. A lot of older people do prefer carpet. But I'm sure you'd talk to them about it first. Also, make sure you invest in a reasonable quality as cheap vinyl and laminate look doubly cheap in a very short span of time!

Good luck!

It depends what quality of carpet you are after.

Bunnings stocks the bottom 2% of Godfrey Hirst, Hycraft and Feltex ranges.

Back