Carport to Garage - Worth it?

Hi all,

Its time to consolidate for a bit so I can build some equity. Our PPOR seems to keep letting us down in valuations and one factor has been pointed out that although the house is completely renovated the double garage is valued as a carport. The "carport" was done before we bought the house and not long after the original build so from the front its attached and matches the original bricks with electric doors. It has internal access and brick pillars on the side with an open back.

The valuer said 3 walls need to be enclosed to be considered a garage. My question is whether this will be value for money and improve our valuations.

Also do we just brick/board up the two gaps on one side or do a complete brick in?

Any suggestions?

....The valuer said 3 walls need to be enclosed to be considered a garage. My question is whether this will be value for money and improve our valuations.......Any suggestions?

Ummm, ask the valuer how much more he would value your property at, if you did what he suggested? ;)

Also do we just brick/board up the two gaps on one side or do a complete brick in?

Any suggestions?

It would be relatively cheap to frame up the side gaps and infill with blueboard/weatherboard/hardieflex etc. Much cheaper than bricking it in.

Thanks, yeah valuer wasn't very talkative and it was a bank valuation so not an option to contact him. He did mention that it affects the dollar value per square metre. But I cant remember if he said it actually increases the living/garage area or just increases the value of the existing living area.

I like the idea of the hardiflex as the neighbours are about to build a brick garage right on the fence line which is literally a foot from the edge of our garage so it wont be seen except from within the garage. The back currently consists of a pool fence as it opens onto the pool area so would probably want to enclose that too for neatness.

Hi dmb1978

If the PPOR is in Canberra and you decide on the brick option - I just had a brick retaining wall put up by a local brickie. He did a great job at a reasonable price - feel free to PM me for his details if you want.

Cheers

Jamie

If you decide to go ahead, make sure that the walls are, and 'look' as though they are secured well to the existing structure.

We bricked in our carport with a brick stud wall in 1990 and when we came to sell the place in 2009, the building report came back with the stud wall being a risk because the inspector 'couldn't confirm that it was stable'. We showed him the invoices from the brickie, showing that it was built 20 years prior by a registered company (that was still in business). He wouldn't change the report. Luckily the purchaser's brother was a builder and inspected the wall after seeing the report and confirmed the wall wasn't going anywhere. Wall still standing :rolleyes:

I'm sure not all building inspectors are this pedantic but just sharing our story.

Back