Cat urine smell in house.

One of my new kittens has been guilty of weeing on things he should not have, so I had to do some research.

Cats have this thing called phenomones in thier urine. This part we cannot smell, but they can so they will always return to the same place to urinate. Hence any clothes, curtains etc despite being washed still hold the scent and will be a target again. You have to use a detergent which has enzymes in to get rid of that smell, as far as I am aware the only detergent that achieves this is Biozet, or have they now changed thier name to Bio Attack. Worked for me the clothing, bedding the bloody cat was weeing on are no longer weeded on. You can buy very fancy expense phenomone sprays and atomiser for the enviorment, but as this is not your cat then this is not applicable.

Cats apparently find moth balls disgusting and will stay away from places with them, no idea if this is true, do know they are toxic. Have also read that citrus peel scattered around deters them, a cheaper solution to try.

Good luck can imagine how disgusting it would be. Wonder if you used a solution of Biozet to wash areas outside if that might keep the cat away.

Had the same issue with a tenant before we bought the unit. Tenant hid the cat when inspections were on and it piddled on the carpets in all rooms. Carpet cleaning is a waste of time unless the underlay is Ok and its a concrete floor. Our solution, pull up the carpet and ditch. Underneath was the problem, floors had little bright yellow areas soaked into the wood. So I had to sand them as much as possible including a large water stain from a toilet overflow I presume and varnish. Only solution.... Our cat has done the same in our house just recently so we'll be doing something similar i'd say!

Good News and a shamless plug for a product. Urine free seems to have worked well. The smell is diminishing as I find more and more secret piddle spots. Takes more than one application and I don't know if it would work better on fresh stains maybe but I'm happy!! I'm no longer offended by the odour in my own home and there is an end in sight!

Deena - Citrus peel works outside, I've used this in the past to stop neighbouring cats attacking my garden beds!!

That is wonderful. Did it completly take away the urine stain as well? I have a mat I had to put away as it stinks and nothing I used cleaned it, but if this product works think I need to invest in it as well.

the best thing I have used for cat wee in carpet, is Biozet laundry powder. The enzymes in it kills the smell (usually a couple of scrubs) has to be oxyaction, I think napisan is ok also.

Not really any stains on the surface of the carpet where I am, carpets have been cleaned and the stains were removed but the problem was with the smell so I'm not sure on the stains. Has worked well on hard surfaces as well. Like I said, a few applications needed but so worth the trouble! I did try the biozet which worked well on the areas I used it on but like I said, It kind of had to be a full carpet treatment so it helped with the particularly whiffy parts but I didn't want to scrub an entire house of carpet if I could help it!!!

Thanks to all for their advice - I'm so happy my house isn't whiffy any more (it was SO embarrassing).

Back