Cause for concern?

I have been advised by my property manager that a tenant I have has broken his leg in the backyard of my IP over the Easter long weekend.

The house is of cause well maintained and I have never neglected a repair item.

The tenant has advised that I will be hearing from his lawyer in regards to this accident.

I should note this particular tenant is already on a disability pension for only having one leg. He received a hefty payout a few years ago for the initial accident.

Dose he have a leg to stand on? (it had to be said) I of cause have a perfect history with maintenance and insurance on all my properties, should I be worried?

Mark

Thanks Y-man its a comfort to hear that. The fellow has cause no end of greif since he moved in, I have already issued an eviction notice (for failing to meet lease conditions) he may just be in my life a bit longer.

Mark

do nothing.

wait until you get some info/documentation/claim from him on you (or from his lawyers), then forward to your insurer.

stock standard run of the mill liability claim. insurers will pay, and/or send in a team of 16 phillips fox lawyers to beat it. you wont have to do a thing.

I was updated on the situation late yesterday when my PM called to let me know he had indeed suffered a very bad fracture to his prosthetic leg.

It's sounding a little fake to me.

Insurance coys also consider how many claims a person has previously had. If he has a history...they might rethink his claim. In any case, I'd take note of the previous posters...you are covered, you don't need to do anything but pass along any claim to your ins coy.

Rest easy, and don't lose any sleep over it.

I was updated on the situation late yesterday when my PM called to let me know he had indeed suffered a very bad fracture to his prosthetic leg.

Soooooooo ....

in answer to your first question, he really does have a leg to stand on:rolleyes:

It's startying to sound like a joke but I asure everyone it is a real event, I'll post an update on the situation when I hear from his lawyer.

I'll try to keep one step ahead of him the whole time.

i took a phonecall yesterday afternoon, from a fella wishing to insure his spare leg. for theft. only one person in the world i could think of who would steal such an item......this thread firmly in my mind as took the call!!!

i know the bloke so had to ask "youre not claiming damages on your landlord are you...the one you refuse to pay rent to...?".
wasnt him!!:)

Sorry Mark C for some of us making light of this. I know it is serious and I would be worried too, but it does sound like you are well covered and there shouldn't be a problem regarding insurance.

Please do keep us posted.

Wylie

It's startying to sound like a joke but I asure everyone it is a real event, I'll post an update on the situation when I hear from his lawyer.

I'll try to keep one step ahead of him the whole time.
Mark

Have you taken legal advice?

Yes, I know that somebody disagreed with me when I suggested it. But I have been in a situation where legal action was threatened- just the peace of mind knowing the I have a leg to stand on (so to speak) is invaluable; your legal advisor could also tell you what to say and what not to say.

OK, back to serious. Where do you draw the line between people just falling over, and a landlord being responsible? Is there a definition similar to that used for furnishings - eg Fair wear and tear versus damage? Surely, if the house is well maintained, eg no holes on the carpet to trip on, if a person does injure themselves while renting, how can landlords be held accountable for that? And who is to say the tenant didnt slip on the floor because they had spilled some water and couldnt be bothered cleaning it up?

Back