Caveat Emptor poll

Why have you not purchased a property deal through Caveat Emptor?

• Timing was wrong (just bought elsewhere, market already peaked, need pre-approval).

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Not financial at the time.

• Don't know the person posting the deal.

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Numbers weren't good enough.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Wrong property type.

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Location wasn't good enough.

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Not enough information provided

• Total voters
Hello, folks,

Thanks for your respnse to the poll question, "Have you participated in any deal presented by others to Caveat Emptor?" at http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8012

The result shows quite clearly from the majority "No" answer that, for various reasons, Caveat Emptor has not been very successful in providing a good source of investment opportunities. Bear in mind that CE has been around for at least 12 months to my knowledge.

I'm curious to know what some of those reasons might be, so I've instituted another poll to canvas some reasons. If your situation is not in the poll and you would like it added you can post it here or send me a Personal Message.

Regards, Mike

PS I've enabled multiple selections.

Because of the heavy posting lately this poll has dropped a long way down so just bumping it back up the top for those that missed it. I've also added an extra option ie Not enough information provided.

The poll allows multiple choice.

Regards, Mike

im suprised so many ppl selected the dont know the person option

IMHO that wouldnt bother me at all

what would stop me buying would be the numbers not stacking up after the info being provided

Hi Mike,

Very few of the deals posted have been in WA and as I will not buy interstate that precludes most of the deals offerred.

As far as "not knowing the person posting the deal"....jeez, how often does a purchaser know the vendor when purchasing from an agent??

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

Quote - CAVEAT EMPTOR - Let the buyer beware. In real estate, in the absence of specific representations by the vendor or his agent as to the conditions of a property or the uses to which it may be put, the buyer takes the risk and must make his own inquiries.

Of course every deal will involve a contract and since contracts can be checked by a solicitor you may wonder whether you need to know the seller.

All the deals posted on Caveat Emptor are unsolicited, and as such, should be treated with extra caution. If you believe that there is more risk inherent in responding to an unsolicited deal where the seller is unknown then I think that is an individual thing.

Of course, extreme due diligence could nullify the issue of unknown sellers if extra care was taken in all other aspects of the deal to verify the details.

Mike

Originally posted by XBenX
im suprised so many ppl selected the dont know the person option

IMHO that wouldnt bother me at all

what would stop me buying would be the numbers not stacking up after the info being provided

I think that's the closest option to "That guy sounds dodgy"...

Jas

When asy was selling her house in melb she was disappointed in the lack of response to what she felt was a good deal she posted in Caveat emptor.

I said maybe it was, but anyone on the forum , knew that she knew what she was doing , and while they might get a good deal , she was unlikely to sell it as an absolute bargain.

If I want a property, I either want to get something that is an absolute bargain , or something that is in a specific area , with specific qualities, eg subdividable ( preferably waterfront , drivable to sydney :) or a renovators dream.

The chance of that happening , and me getting it are remote. There are to many informed people around here.

I will look there , but not with any expectation that I will actually buy anything there. Though there was one Waterfront property ,... but it wasn't actually a waterfront property ...

I did see one house ( in logan ) posted about a year ago which I enquired about, but nothing happened , can't remember why.... I do remember Nigel W making a suggested low ball offer. H'ed need to tack a one in front of the figure to get it now.... Go Logan

see change

Back