Ceiling Heights

I am looking at possibly building a project house to rent out and have been asked if I wanted 2.4 metre or 2.7 metre ceiling height. to be honest i hadn't given it a moments thought. Just wondering if it would make a difference to resale or rent received?

Probably won't make a difference for rent returns, but may increase resale return if somebody buys as a PPOR.
Depends on location and surrounding dwellings I suppose.

If the extra cost is reasonable, it's worth considering going for the 9 foot ceilings.

My opinions are the same as Ace. How much extra will it cost? How long are you going to hold onto it for? If your answers are not much and not long then go for it. Otherwise think carefully about it and like always, check comparable sales to both types to see if it will be worth the extra cost.

Gools

I work on an awful lot of houses each month and when I enter a house with 2700 ceiling height ,it seems that the house is so much bigger.I have to recheck my plans because I don't believe it.

I have built two houses in the last three years both with 2700 ceilings,
One house was 200m2 and the ceiling cost extra was 6K the other still being built at 240m2 ,ceiling cost extra is around 7K.

I believe higher ceilings are worth every cent,but do your own sums,I certainly wouldn't build one again without them.:D

I work on an awful lot of houses each month and when I enter a house with 2700 ceiling height ,it seems that the house is so much bigger.I have to recheck my plans because I don't believe it.

I have built two houses in the last three years both with 2700 ceilings,
One house was 200m2 and the ceiling cost extra was 6K the other still being built at 240m2 ,ceiling cost extra is around 7K.

I believe higher ceilings are worth every cent,but do your own sums,I certainly wouldn't build one again without them.:D

I tend to agree with Pa1nter here.

Most houses are at least 2550 nowadays, one sheet of 1200 and one sheet of 1350 plasterboard.

I was in a house with a large room and only 2400 cielings a month or so ago and I must admit it felt a bit claustrophobic.

If the cost differential is minimal, then I think it will add as much in value and rental appeal and saleability to go with the 2700.

The rooms do indeed appear to be larger.

I would not build with 2400 cielings.

cheers

RightValue

Downside: Cost, average house say 220 sq mtrs inside may cost up to $8k higher depending on how much the builder wants to rip you off plus cooling and heating requirements maybe affected.

With my current project I considered exactly what you are considering but I ended up going for a raked ceiling in the kit/lounge/dining area..........cost us no more in addition..skillion roof trusses are cheaper than most roof framing forms although builders will tell you way different..........

At the end of the day if money is tight i'd sooner spend my money on quality pc items rather than 2700 ceilings. $8 grand extra will go a long way to making the interior very luxurious and appealing using quality upmarket fittings.

Easier to offload a property if you have quality fittings ie: quality kit, bathroom accessories such as windwow soft furnishings and good tiles etc.

Builtin storage in garages are another easy way to help sell a property...at little additional cost.

Zero difference to rent values in my opinion

Best of luck in your decision.

I beleive that having that extra ceiling height is wort every cent!

Wishing you every success, Ana Stankovic

CSC2 .............. Downside: Cost, average house say 220 sq mtrs inside may cost up to $8k higher depending on how much the builder wants to rip you off plus cooling and heating requirements maybe affected.

Why is it that a builder wants to ripping you off, NOT all builders are the same so please do not put us all in the same basket.

Brian

I am looking at possibly building a project house to rent out and have been asked if I wanted 2.4 metre or 2.7 metre ceiling height. to be honest i hadn't given it a moments thought. Just wondering if it would make a difference to resale or rent received?

i am building myself a new home at the moment and i heve the ceilings at 2700mm throughout ,gives the impression of space ,i have also included a drop down bulkhead around the edges of 150mm by 600mm this will house the downlights with double cornices it looks great with an old world feel .small extra cost but a standout in a crowd

Thanks guys the house is quite small going to be around 110m2 plus a single garage? Would that change your views on the higher ceilings or would that mean definately go with them?

hi Leghorn

i would definately go with 2700 ceilings, if you cant afford it, as people have suggested, go with 2550 ceilings, the higher ceiling makes the room look bigger

go have a look at some display homes, they are always 2700 ceilings as it makes potential purchasers think the house is bigger than it is

CSC2 .............. Downside: Cost, average house say 220 sq mtrs inside may cost up to $8k higher depending on how much the builder wants to rip you off plus cooling and heating requirements maybe affected.

Why is it that a builder wants to ripping you off, NOT all builders are the same so please do not put us all in the same basket.

Brian

With respect: Like car salesmen builders are out to make as much as possible on any job..........and often quote ridiculous prices............$1200 bucks to $2000 sq mtr is very good money..profits are very high....sway from the original plan design and they will rip you blind.

If your not cashing in I will be very surprised.

Examples of recent quotes I have on several projects:

Water tank installed: variance from $1750 to $7000, same specs, same tank brand and pump etc.

2700 celings: $8000 to $14200...same house design.

House quote: living 166 sq mtr, garage 42 sq mtr, verandah 54 sq mtrs...variance for the exact same home, pc values etc was $82000 from highest to lowest............

Best of luck.

I would go for 2.7m high ceilings as well. It just makes the room feel heaps bigger.

Its easier to change accessories than increase the height on a building.

As for rent, i would say it depends on the size of the house, in a small house (eg granny flat) i would say yes, in a massive house, probably not so much.

In my experience higher ceilings are a must and are becoming more important as it becomes the norm for newer properties. Remember that the perception of ceiling height is what counts, and will typically be perceived differently by men and women (based on their respective average heights). So the perception of ceiling heights is going to be the space between someone's head and the lowest point of the ceiling - the light fittings. Therefore also a good idea to consider flush ceiling lights/down lights.

With respect: Like car salesmen builders are out to make as much as possible on any job..........and often quote ridiculous prices............$1200 bucks to $2000 sq mtr is very good money..profits are very high....sway from the original plan design and they will rip you blind.

If your not cashing in I will be very surprised.

Examples of recent quotes I have on several projects:

Water tank installed: variance from $1750 to $7000, same specs, same tank brand and pump etc.

2700 celings: $8000 to $14200...same house design.

House quote: living 166 sq mtr, garage 42 sq mtr, verandah 54 sq mtrs...variance for the exact same home, pc values etc was $82000 from highest to lowest............

Best of luck.

With great profits, comes great responsibility. If the $ is so good, why doesn't everybody build??

Not having a go, just saying you can't put them all in the same basket. For example, you must be some what happy with the quote which was the cheapest by 82k??

TBH, 82k sounds ridiculous.
I'm in Perth (mostly double brick), and you would not get that much variation in quotations for a house <300m2. Presuming the spec was relatively the same of course.

We generally recommend 2550 ceiling height for investors on a budget. This generally costs an extra $2500 on a 220sqm house.

The height difference is noticeable internally and it also makes the house look taller when looking from the kerb.

Thanks guys the house is quite small going to be around 110m2 plus a single garage? Would that change your views on the higher ceilings or would that mean definitely go with them?
All the more reason to go higher ceilings,I often see smaller houses with high ceilings and it makes them look bigger.;)

With such a small cost (percentage wise), i fail to see why anyone would want crappy 2.4m high ceilings...

It seems like the average increase in price is about 3% - 4%... small amount to pay really.

With such a small cost (percentage wise), i fail to see why anyone would want crappy 2.4m high ceilings...

It seems like the average increase in price is about 3% - 4%... small amount to pay really.
Are you saying my PPOR is crappy:(

LOL, didnt mean to offend you painter. Im saying if you're building something from scratch why wouldnt you go 2.7m instead of cheaping out at 2.4m.

Back