Ceiling Insulation

Good Morning All

In the roof space of my ceiling, at the moment there are loose fill paper insulation type. There seems to be a bit of dusts get down through the bathroom exhaust fan.

I have got a couple of quotes to vaccum the loose fill insulation and putting insulation bats in.

The cheapest quote I got is $2000 for the whole job (ie vaccum and remove the old insulation and install insulation bats to 75m square roof space.)
The insulation we were going to use is the QuiteStuff 90 (R2)to insulate the noise and another layer of polyester bats of R1.5

Do you think it worth to do this? Will the insulation bats improve the house temperature compare to the loose fill type?

Thanks in advance

Regards
BaoT

Last edited:
Do you think it worth to do this?

Definately,
As a general guide your ceiling insulation should have a minimum R rating of 2.5 and your wall insulation should be a minimum of 1.5

Will the insulation bats improve the house temperature compare to the loose fill type?

Depends on how longs it been in there. It does tend to loose its insulation qualities after several years and its a ******* to get out.

Thanks Shady

I don't know how long ago the insulation was there but the house was built in 1976, so may be the insulation is of similar age. It sure is dusty up there.

There will be 2 layers of insulations which will give a total of R3.5 rating

Regards

I just sepent the last two saturdays in my roof taking out the old batts and replacing them with new ones.

I have a 70sm unit (2 bedroom) built in the latre 70's so over 30 years, the batts were the horrable yellow fiberglass ones, I took some tiles off and threw them out. I then vacumed the entire roof!!!!

Yes I now sounds crazy but I like things to be clean, took about 3 hours to vacum between the rafters and odd spots but it was well worth the effort, so much easy to work in clean spaces.

I brought 10 bags of Tontine batts which had a rating of 2.5 and were not the 'itchy' type, made of recycled materials (5 star) cost $387 for whole lot.

Find out tonight if all the work was worth it! (when it gets cold)

Hmmm this thread is timely for me. We will have our roof off (or a big part of it) very soon and we'll probably lose a fair proportion of our ubeaut woolly blow in stuff. Probably have to get up there after and patch the gaps!!

I'm getting greenstuf (same manufacturer as quietstuf) R3.0 polyester batts for $27.20 per bag covering 4.5m2 each bag. This is the cheapest price I can find at the moment. Btw, is there any disadvantage of not removing the old insulations and just put new ones on top of them?

Hi All

Thanks for your comments.

This morning the insulation/vaccuming company came to vaccum out the loose fill insulattion.
The insulation were sucked into large plastic bag fitted inside a large (200litre) metal drum.
They started at 8AM and is only half way now after 4 hours. There are 20 of these bags already filled.

Hopefully there will be no more dust.

Undercover - How is your home feel now after the insulation installed?

Hi Feihong, Where did you bought the insulation from? If the existing insulation is too old, they would not be as effective and quite dusty, these dusts can get down your living area via air vents or down lights.

Hi All

Thanks for your comments.

This morning the insulation/vaccuming company came to vaccum out the loose fill insulattion.
The insulation were sucked into large plastic bag fitted inside a large (200litre) metal drum.
They started at 8AM and is only half way now after 4 hours. There are 20 of these bags already filled.

Hopefully there will be no more dust.

Hi Feihong, Where did you bought the insulation from? If the existing insulation is too old, they would not be as effective and quite dusty, these dusts can get down your living area via air vents or down lights.

Thanks for the explanation about the old insulation, my existing insulation is of the old fibreglass type like most 70's houses (as per mentioned by everyone here). They already shrank a lot, but should still have R0.5 value in it. R3.0 insulation on top of this layer should make it R3.5. The place I'm buying from is called Tile Importers in Oakleigh South 200m away from Huntingdale Station.

I only have a 2.5k Heating split system on the wall, so heating is only great in the lounge room.

But I have noticed a big difference in the morning when we wake up and also when I get home from work. It does not have that freezing chill factor anymore. I have timber floors so we still feel some cold from the floor, but glad I did it, well worth the $380 and hours vacuming and doing the work ourselves.

I would not place them over the old bats, if their over 10 years old they would have lost their rating anyway, not to mention the dust and if you leave the old ones in you have no rafters to secure the new ones!!

Last edited:
Back