Ceiling space conversion

Just wondering if anyone has converted ceiling space into living space. What are the considerations (besides where the stairs are going to go)?
What is the cost compared to simply adding on an extra bedroom, bathroom and small living area?

The pitch?...My wild life would love it in there!

Anyhow,the only thing i can add is make sure the bathroom is above the below bathroom.

Cheaper to rig.

I'm sure someone else will be along with more input.

Ps.Please note it's Sunday ha ha

Structural elements of the roof space will be your first challenge to overcome. For example if your building into a roof space that is constructed from trusses then your going to have to make sure whoever you get to do the job is switched on with how trusses work.
You just can't cut into a truss and support it with a prop or hanging beam. They are all individually engineered and have a specific role in holding your roof up.
Also, with a truss roof none of the internal walls are considered load bearing and therefore wouldn't have the engineered strength to carry 2nd floor loads. Studs for a ground floor wall supporting upper floor loads will be at 450cts and 600cts if carrying no load.

If its a conventional roof then it's much easier to alter. The studs in the walls will all be at 450cts so they can carry "general" upper floor loads.

Try and keep your upper floor walls in line with walls below them, that way they can transfer their load without having to add any engineered beams. Depending on your upper floor (ceiling space) plan you might not be able to get away without having to add in some new beams, posts and extra studs in ground floor walls.

Have you got an existing plan of the ground floor and an idea of what your wanting to do in the roof space? Post a pic of it here and i'm sure you'll get plenty of feedback on it.
First thing though, check if you have trusses or a conventional roof system.

You'll need to think about light and ventilation, and ceiling height compliance with the BCA. You can use ventilating skylights in the space to meet the light and vent, but ceiling height is a little more complicated. In an attic it's min. 2.2m high for at least 2/3rds of the floor area of the room.

Back