Cellars: does it always add value?

The IP has this underground level with the garage and at the back of it, there's a cellar covering 4x6m. It's basically a dirt hole with some lights, racks and a concrete walk path but nothing else. If I get someone in to put some wooden panel on the wall, perhaps install some sort of humidity/temperature controlling device and a door separating it from the pool equipment room, am I likely to add some value to the val?

...If I get someone in to put some wooden panel on the wall, perhaps install some sort of humidity/temperature controlling device and a door separating it from the pool equipment room, am I likely to add some value to the val?

Probably not a lot (if any) of a value-add IMO. It might help tip a sale in favour of your property over another if they were similar in all other respects, is probably about all.

Lots of people don't drink wine. Of those that do, many don't have a huge collection, and would buy as they want, without the need for a cellar.

UNLESS, this property is in an area where a wine cellar is the norm.

Be careful not to bugger up the sub floor ventilation. That could cause dampness to start rising.

I find the cardboard of the casks starts going mouldy if I celar my wine too long.

Reactions: NPB
The cellar/value add argument is not uniform - in some areas it may be seen as desirable in others it is better used as storage or a water course. It would add temporary value if filled with Grange or Hill of Grace

Be careful not to bugger up the sub floor ventilation. That could cause dampness to start rising.

I find the cardboard of the casks starts going mouldy if I celar my wine too long.

If you get a couple of oak barrels you can really impress people. Particularly when it's filled with some cask Old Tawny

I find that the lighting is critical, even candles can be a good low cost option. Thought also needs to be made to allow enough room in the budget for enough wine etc. to make it look authentic. I had one put in my house in Melton before it was built. Best thing I ever did putting one in, it doubles as a bomb shelter, you never know what might happen in the west!

I find that the lighting is critical, even candles can be a good low cost option. Thought also needs to be made to allow enough room in the budget for enough wine etc. to make it look authentic. I had one put in my house in Melton before it was built. Best thing I ever did putting one in, it doubles as a bomb shelter, you never know what might happen in the west!

Yep couldn't agree more

Nothing provides atmosphere more than a couple of 80's electric candles

But would people really appreciate a cellar in Mt Druitt, do you get the point??

Seriously adding value .... cellar???? you would really need to be selective and target the right area otherwise we are throwing money down the toilet.

Forget the cellar idea, but a 6 x 4m room at the back of the garage would surely be good as a workshop. Get rid of the racks and concrete the whole floor. Is there good access to the room? Maybe improve that, too.

Back