Cement render over painted brick

How well does normal cement render work when applied to painted brick? I believe the modern acrylic products may work, but can convention render be made to stick OK?

whatever you do dont buy the premixed garbage from bunnings.total garbage.

in my opinion concrete rendering done properly, not a back yard slap on is an art on its own, especially if you want a quality finish.

im yet to see a job done by a home handyman that looks like a pro job...

plenty of tricks of the trade doing it...

How well does normal cement render work when applied to painted brick?
It does not work well at all. It needs to 'key' into the surface and it cannot if the surface is painted

I believe the modern acrylic products may work, but can convention render be made to stick OK?
Acrylics may work. But you will need to use a sand blaster or other paint removal system to get conventional render to work. This will be a HUGE job and personally I would not do it.

Have you considered, DULUX Full Cover Texture?
http://www.dulux.com.au/products/dulux-exterior-products/walls/product-detail?product=2193

Thanks Propertunity, confirmed what I suspected. The rendering won't be done for some years so I was considering painting the ugly 60's brick walls now to make a bit less ugly. And I have NO intention of rendering myself, it would be even more ugly then!

I'm 'rendering' a painted wall at the moment. The paint kind of peels off (it was painted over an old lime based interior render) and half the old mortar has fallen out too so when I say 'render' I really mean I'm just patching up the mising mortar and any damaged bits of stone. I wouldn't be doing it myself if the wall was actually supposed to be flat :)

Where I'm sometimes running off the paint-free stone and brick onto the remnants of the paint it does stick but you can brush it off when it is dried, so for anyone else reading this thread later - DON'T DO IT lol

I've got a sandblaster booked to take off the remainder of the paint on this house. My patching wall is orange (this wall used to be the interior of an enclosed verandah), and the layers under it are kind of royal blue so it looks beyond hideous at the moment, and I can't just repaint as some moron has painted over existing quite bad erosion on the stone (the gutter above this wall resembled a sieve) and I want to patch that first. FYI, it is going to cost about $600 to sandblast the walls of half a small cottage, so you could get an entire average house done for about $2000 I imagine.

ETA: thankfully the orange/blue wall is only about 2m long, the rest of the house has a single very thin coat of white lol

Don't do it!! My husband tells me to render over painted brick you need to put wire mesh down first as the render doesn't stick to the painted surface.

I would imagine that if you provide enough "key" (grip) to the surface then it shouldn't be a problem that the wall is pre-painted. I did a short TAFE course on rendering a few years ago and the main thing with what you want to do is create an area where the render can grip.

Try using a hand grinder with a masonry disc to cut and grind through the painted surface into the surface below so that the render has something to hold onto. Ensure the painted surface remaining is not flaking .... rough the rest of the surface up and you should be fine, ...... otherwise batten over the existing wall using 2"x1" timber battens and re-sheet the walls. This is a cheap option and works very well, ..... you could even sheet with blueboard and render onto that.

I've just done the batten/re-sheet as part of a reno ...... gyprocked over brick feature walls (see pics).

P9010288.jpg P9280317.jpg

Mystery

Don't do it!! My husband tells me to render over painted brick you need to put wire mesh down first as the render doesn't stick to the painted surface.

Spot on!! I had a friend whose hubby was a renderer and he would staple up chicken mesh first and then render.

Slightly off topic... we looked at a couple of houses yesterday that had horrible fake brick. (Faux brick is not nice at the best, IMO, but when it's a cacky color too!! :eek:)

Can it be painted successfully? Or maybe that product that Prop suggested would be suitable?

My house was all painted brick. It is now rendered, i did it with a mate (who is a renderer).

In some sections, the base coat is sand/cement/lime and in other sections it is render mix (powder).

They both stuck no problems (3 yrs ago). We used a strong bondcrete mix, painted onto the painted brick before rendering, and applied basecoat while BC is still tacky. Also put some Bondcrete in with the SSL mix, in the mixer.

All good.:)

Back