Cemetry

Would you buy an IP near a cemetry ? Like if the back of the property was across the road from it ?

Would you say it affects the rent or value?

I can say that i have managed a few properties beside a cemetry in different suburbs. Some people will not consider renting next to and others dont even mention is as being an issue.

But I personally would not consider an IP very close to a cemetary as it it an issue for a lot of people and will reduce the number of prospective tenants who will consider the property.

The properties i have had experience with back onto the cemetary so you cant get much closer.

Thanks for that guys. Had a read of the other thread as well. Unfortunately hasnt swayed my mind either way ! Lol.

Still not sure. Numbers wise this property I found stacks up neatly.

The only concern being is I am not sure how long this property has been for sale and how long will it take for me to rent it out.

i wouldn't want to live/rent in such a location, it's from my experience as a youth, i know many peers that would hang out in 'unattended' areas like graveyards.

i have some picky middle class friends who lived very happily near a cemetery for years, upmarket area and no probs at all. Always joked about how people were dying to get into the neighbourhood :D

In terms of proximity to cemetries, I reckon it would be a case of ;

1. Living next door, backing onto or very close might be a negative on your cashflow.

2. Jumping in boots and all and actually buying the cemetry would possibly be an excellent cashflow generator.

I'd lump cemetries in with stinky old factories. Bad to live near them, but absolutely wonderful to own the actual offending property.

This guy owned a cemetry and thought it was a sterling investment....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNRLoinsz0w

Toodles.

People should be happy to own a propery in the dead centre of town.

Although people living within 5km of a cemetery are not allowed to be buried there.

Not until they've died.

Years ago i found the perfect PPOR,in Coromandel Valley,SA.On inspection day,it was right next door to a cemetery.Put me right off.In Hindsight,i have seen this property sell a few times over the decade,and it seems it probably would have been a good investment after all.

Years ago i found the perfect PPOR,in Coromandel Valley,SA.On inspection day,it was right next door to a cemetery.Put me right off.In Hindsight,i have seen this property sell a few times over the decade,and it seems it probably would have been a good investment after all.

That is untrue, it is relative. A better located property would have probably done better than the equivalent one next to a cemetery.

That is untrue, it is relative. A better located property would have probably done better than the equivalent one next to a cemetery.

Im sure the price would be indicative of the location. As long as the numbers work, and there is an appropriate discount for the 'risk'....

Still not too sure. Heres the pickle I am in -

1. I found this place (town house) next to a cemetry but the numbers are really good, sometimes I think whether its too good to be true. My biggest concern being, will I be able to rent it out for a rent equivalent to the rent in the same suburb or would it be lower.

2. I am also considering another place which is a unit though, which also has decent numbers (not as good as the townhouse though but ok). Already rented out with a potential to increase rent down the line.

Any advice guys ?

It may be worth while to check with a local property manager or three not connected with the selling agent, as to rentability and likely rent. Some of them will be quite straight with you.

Certain cultures will not want to the property and peoples feelings would limit your rental market.

There are also loads of variances such as:

Is it an old cemetary or is still being used
How close is the property located to the entrance and general workings
Is there a crematorium attached
How much of a discount is the property attracting

and so on.

Best advise was given before. Speak to several PM's in the area and a few sales agent as well just in case you need to get out in the future.

Still not too sure. Heres the pickle I am in -

1. I found this place (town house) next to a cemetry but the numbers are really good, sometimes I think whether its too good to be true. My biggest concern being, will I be able to rent it out for a rent equivalent to the rent in the same suburb or would it be lower.

2. I am also considering another place which is a unit though, which also has decent numbers (not as good as the townhouse though but ok). Already rented out with a potential to increase rent down the line.

Any advice guys ?

the numbers may be good however at some stage - if you were going to try to sellout at some stage in your life due to personal reasons or etc. how easy would it be?

i'm not sure what the demographics are in that suburb but in certain cultures especially asian - they would not touch that area. it's taboo.

Back