Census 2011

Tonight is census night

Source link

What is the Census?

The Census of Population and Housing aims to accurately count the number of people in Australia, their key characteristics, and the dwellings in which they live.

It is conducted by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) once every five years.

During the Census every household and person in the country is required to answer specific questions on the paper form or through eCensus online.

When is the next Census?

The 16th Census of Population and Housing will take place on the night of 9 August 2011. The 2011 Census also marks a significant milestone – 100 years of national Census taking in Australia.

Why is it important?

The Census underpins Australia’s democracy and is crucial to communities, private institutions and all levels of government when planning infrastructure, community services and facilities where you live.

For example Census information helps to determine where schools, hospitals, and roads are needed.

Federal funding arrangements to the states and territories, including allocation of GST revenue, are also based on Census information

There's also an interesting population pyramid and projections for australia here

I find it interesting that the generations following the BBs are just as numerous as the BBs.

Considering the effect of WW1 and then the depression I guess there was a lot of delayed breeding to be done after WW2

The 20-30 age decile is actually the biggest group of people.

I suppose we have the BBs, then the kids of all those BBs, now the grandkids are growing up.

It changes the mind set from the BBs being a big group of people classified as a population bulge to a big group leading the way for other groups that follow.

By the number of kids around here lately I expected a bulge in the infant numbers to be visible. The birthrate in Oz has been quite high lately.

By the number of kids around here lately I expected a bulge in the infant numbers to be visible. The birthrate in Oz has been quite high lately.
That'd be all the children of the boomers hitting their 30s and breeding en masse. 10 years ago when I had my first baby, I swear noone had kids at all, now everyone has a pack of them.

Census night we get to choose which house we are in, if we report being overcrowded in a little house or just right in a big one. If the census was one week later, both houses would be occupied, we have tenants moving in in just over a week.

I said this last time, but the question relating to income (Q 33) has some pretty low income levels.

I mean if the highest option is $2000 or more per week and this includes all income....this is not very high. Shouldn't this be lifted to at least over $4000 per week to be more reflective of the spread of incomes.

$200ish a week covers all the pensions, dole etc. In fact, it is higher than some of the pensions and allowances. Median household income in this town is $40k which apparently isn't far off the state median, in my previous town it was $10k.

Maybe they need higher scales for Sydney :)

Back