Central Coast Suburbs......

G'day :)
I am looking to buy my first IP this year and have identified the Central Coast. I have done some internet research and did a trip up there last week to drive through suburbs, talk to some agents and get a better feel for the area. I checked out Gosford, Wyoming, Narara, Niagara Park, Ourimbah, Wyong and Mardi. I have a friend from work who purchased in Mardi a 3 bed townhouse in 2009 for around $235k and is happy with the area and his investment, although he said it hasn't had much CG, but a little which is ok. I have read other threads on the central coast before posting this, some with heated debates about how bogan, high crime etc the central coast is and I dont really want to go into that! So long as an area is generally safe I am not too bothered by graffiti, some bogans etc, so long as is it not taken to extreme levels where it would attract only bad tenants or where I would not feel safe living there myself.

I work in St leopards and currently live in the lower Blue mountains. I love the ocean so feel the Central Coast offers access to beaches and a shorter commute time to work so it seems a no brainer for me.

I am writing to ask if anyone has any tips/helpful information to help me narrow my search as I am not very familiar with the central coast area. Some information about my search criteria:

Property: Would prefer a house over a unit/townhouse (happy to do some renos to the place)
Plan: To live in the house for at least 12 months, rent out the other 2 rooms and eventually move out and have the property as a long term IP.
Budget: <290k
Access: Need to be relatively close to a train line for the daily commute to St Leonards for work. Also in a location that would appeal to future tenants that commute, likely families to rent the property, so within suitable distance of some amenities/conveniences.

So far I like Narara and parts of Wyoming, as they are closer to Sydney than say Mardi and not far from Gosford and Terrigal. Also the train stops at Narara, whereas I noticed it skips some of the other smaller stations. As an observation, I was suprised that Gosford seemed somewhat run-down, I was expecting that it being a main hub of the area it would have had more visual appeal.

Anyway, I would really appreciate any feedback on Narara or wyoming people have or suggestions of other suburbs up there that would suit my criteria. I plan to do another research trip this weekend so can investigate any suggestions people may have. If you are knowledgable on the Central Coast, based on my criteria could you suggest some suitable/appealing suburbs and why?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my post - any feedback is very much appreciated! :D

Kind regards
Davross

Grew up in Wyoming but haven't been back for a long time. Problem at that time as rental market and the demographic (mainly retirees). Not sure how this looks now. Have you checked the vacancy rates, etc?

I also dont think it has good potential for CG.

Regards

Shahin

I grew up in Lisarow and work in West Gosford - but I live in Newcastle.

The Central Coast always has the feel of somewhere that should be doing better than it is, both from a market perspective and a design/built outcome perspective.

The idea of a houseshare/rental would work best around the larger TAFEs/Ourimbah University. The Settlers Park area of Ourimbah isn't too bad, but I don't think that 290k would get you in there.

Narara is a good option for access to rail.

I know many developers, and no one in the history of Australia has made money in Gosford. Its all built on dreams. The demand just isn't there to drive property prices.

Remember, jobs drive demand but lifestyle keeps people there. Currently the jobs are lacking and so you won't see much growth in the central coast. Follow the jobs, then buy property in the lifestyle area's.

Examples:

Mining towns are driven by jobs but as there is not much lifestyle they go bust afterwards because no one wants to stay in some desert town. (countless abandoned gold mining towns litter Australia's outback)

Sydney's East. Has some of the most expensive real estate in the world. Jobs in Sydney drove demand and so the lifestyle area's along the beach had unprecedented growth in prices.

Learn the above lesson and you will buy property well through life.

Follow the jobs, buy the lifestyle.

Back