Central Coast > Sydney peak traffic

Does anyone here do the drive from the central coast to Sydney for work? Or know of anyone who does?

Couple of questions:

1. How is the traffic further up the coast before you hit Gosford, say The Entrance to Gosford? Would that be a relatively quick drive before you hit the F3? Ie would living at The Entrance vs living at Gosford add much to travel time to Sydney in peak periods.

2. Anyone know average travel time in peak from Gosford on the F3 down to the Hills district? Not to the city.

Obviously talking about weekday mornings and evenings here.

I know Gosford > City is shocking. For Hills you'd turn off at Cumberland Hwy after the F3, I know that can be busy but nothing like the Bridge in the mornings/evenings.

Any input would be appreciated.

From memory, F3 to HIlls is not that bad along Pennant Hills then Castle Hill Rds. Theres also Boundary you can take so should be OK. Otherwise you go straight down to M2 with a bit of traffic through Copeland Rd and you should be fine. All the congestion is city bound. Then again, Syd is starting to shi* me no end in terms of traffic and chaos. Can't wait to get out of here one day.

I'm exactly the same and that "oneday" is coming closer and closer.. within a few months I'll be out of here. Im gonna let my guard down and rent, I dont care anymore. There is no lifestyle here and I'd rather rent than have no quality of life.

The train looks the better option for travelling from Gosford > Hills. Actually its Meadowbank which is pretty easy from Hornsby station. Dont have to go near the city thank god.

asdf - you should get out before you go insane like i am ;)

Tiger mate.

I was also tossing this idea in my head many years ago.

In 1992 we were looking for a PPOR and did many trips up the coast looking for our dream home.
We also took a drive out to North West and we liked Quakers Hill
as it had train station and the primary and high schools were close.

The prices were similar in both areas for the same type of house
but we decided that Quakers was a better option as it was still Sydney.
I think it was when the M2 was opening up.
My work was at North Ryde and driving on the M2 was a pleasure.

12 years later the M2 was a car park but our finances had improved
I had a senior position and we could afford to move closer to work so we did.
We loved Quakers though and so did the kids. 2 years later they still miss their high school.
In the time we lived North West the region got totally transformed
they built new roads, new housing estates came up, they built new schools
and shopping centres etc.

The lifestyle where we lived was not much different to living at the central coast.
In fact I would say that the drug problem was negligible in our area
but it seemed to be a lifestyle choice up the coast.

Looking back at our decision, I believe it was the best decision we made
as it kept us together it allowed us to be reasonably close to family and friends
and it helped me advance my career.

If I was living up the coast my job options would have been limited.
I know a few people who live at Gosford and worked at Willoughby.
Travelling on the train wasn't a bad run but their job options were limited
and their boss knew it so their pay increases were small.

Another example: A guy from my work lives in Wyong
He starts work very early before 7am and leaves work early before 4 or after 6pm to avoid the traffic.
On Friday evenings he delays his trip home longer as there are people travelling North leaving Sydney for the weekend.
If there is an accident on the freeway he gets home very late.

He is used to it now, but luckily he is using a company car.
If you use your own fuel it will be very costly.
Also, it will add a lot of km's to your car so it will get old real quick.

I hope you find this info useful.
All the best.

Bill

We'll be going with the train for sure over driving. Gosford > Hornsby express then a short ride to Meadowbank.

The main difference between NW Sydney and Central Coast = water ;)

I love the coast and personally theres nothing for me in NW syd or anywhere in Syd. I want a sea change.. if it were up to me I'd be heading interstate but the other halfs job is not so flexible.

Been looking at rentals in Gosford and 15km radius for $220, seems to be quite a bit to choose from. We certainly wouldnt get anything decent (house) for that price in sydney and the coast has a preferable lifestyle for me.. so its win win all round.

maybe i be attacked but ok. they call gosford "mt druitt by sea" for reason. it have lot of unemployed and drug problems. go there friday or sat night and main street lots of druggos. during week noone around but single mums and unemployed. terrigal, avoca all good but during week noone there.

i think you talk to police. area lots of crime. i know. i talk to them about developments being vandalised. i give up on coast. too me terrigal and avoca and mcmasters only good thing. gosford too many problems to fix. except burn down.

I doubt i will live in Gosford, I was just using that as a reference. Plenty of other great places within 15km of Gosford to choose from.

Hey tiger,

I work near Meadowbank. I have 2 work colleagues that live up there - one at the Entrance & the other somewhere near Bateau Bay.

Person 1 Entrance: He has been doing the train ride for something like 15 years...he seems ok with it. He mainly has issues in summer when fires cause train disruption and power stations blow also resulting in delays.

Person 2 Bateau Bay: She recently moved there from Sydney to be with her partner. Everyday they drive to and from work. Recently talking with her, she is at her wits end with the travelling. They leave home around 6am (as that is the best time for traffic) and leave work no later than 4-430pm also due to traffic. She has now decided to try & look for work up that way.

Hope this also offers additional insight! :cool:

I come accross alot of your posts in my research on here & I think I am in your same age group - dont give up too early on the property - although I see your point! ;) I'm hating Sydney more and more everyday too - I live 20mins from work and it takes me 45 mins to get home - on the M4! Try not to give up yet!

Good luck with your decision.

My boyfriend is the same at the moment. Works less than 15km away but it takes him up to 45 minutes to drive there. I find it better to skip the tollways altogether, they tend not to make the trip any quicker.

We haven't given up at all, but buying in Sydney isn't an option. Not sure if you're looking at buying here or not?
The other states have so much more opportunity.

Sounds like train is the way to go from the coast to sydney for work if you want to keep your sanity ;)

Glad to hear that. I'm trying to keep my options open to the markets in different states - Sydney IP for me seems like such a far away option. We'll get there!:)

Back