CGT Loss

Hi guru's,

This may seem strange as it wouldn't have happened to a lot of people recently BUT is a capital loss taken off one's taxable income at tax time? My in-laws have recently sold a unit in which they lost $10k on. So does it work on the same theory as CGT but opposite or is it bad luck if you have made a loss? If they lost $10k, is it also halved as CGT would be and therefore $2.5k each comes off there taxable income.

Cheers for any advice you can add!

Dos

My understanding is that capital losses can only be offset against capital gains. If you don't have enough cap gains to offset, the losses can be carried forward- the losses cannot be used to offset income.

Hi Dos

No, I am afraid that geoffw is correct in that the Capital Loss is carried forward until such time as it can be offset against a Capital Gain. The Loss is not halved though.

Pity!

Dale
Dos said:
Hi guru's,

This may seem strange as it wouldn't have happened to a lot of people recently BUT is a capital loss taken off one's taxable income at tax time? My in-laws have recently sold a unit in which they lost $10k on. So does it work on the same theory as CGT but opposite or is it bad luck if you have made a loss? If they lost $10k, is it also halved as CGT would be and therefore $2.5k each comes off there taxable income.

Cheers for any advice you can add!

Dos

Dale,

I think Dos might get confused by your reply when you say the loss is not halved.

Let's assume capital loss of $10k.
Later a capital gain of $20k.

Net capital gain $10k, apply the discount and pay tax on $5k of capital gain.

NOT

Capital loss of $10k
Capital gain of $20k

Apply the 50% discount, taxable capital gain $10k less capital loss of $10k leaves no tax payable.

EFFECTIVELY, the same discount applies to each.

G'day

OK, fair point. The Capital Loss is not halved in the year it is incurred.

However a future CG would see the full loss off set against the loan before discounting it.

Dale

quiggles said:
Dale,

I think Dos might get confused by your reply when you say the loss is not halved.

Let's assume capital loss of $10k.
Later a capital gain of $20k.

Net capital gain $10k, apply the discount and pay tax on $5k of capital gain.

NOT

Capital loss of $10k
Capital gain of $20k

Apply the 50% discount, taxable capital gain $10k less capital loss of $10k leaves no tax payable.

EFFECTIVELY, the same discount applies to each.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the info, much appreciated as always. They will have a capital gain in the same year as well. So my understanding is that the equation looks something like:

Gain - Loss = X. Tax payable (Y) is then half of X. Then again Y gets divided by 2 for each person. In practice - 20k - 8k = 12k. Apply discount = 6k and each is then up for 3k at tax time?

Thanks again!!

Dos

Hi Dos

Yes, you have it right.

Dale

Dos said:
Hi guys,

Thanks for the info, much appreciated as always. They will have a capital gain in the same year as well. So my understanding is that the equation looks something like:

Gain - Loss = X. Tax payable (Y) is then half of X. Then again Y gets divided by 2 for each person. In practice - 20k - 8k = 12k. Apply discount = 6k and each is then up for 3k at tax time?

Thanks again!!

Dos

Back